Chapter 6

I tore up the first letter and sat down at my computer and started to type. Without thinking, I wrote in the lingo I had picked up from my new homies at school.

Dear Popz:

I got your birthday card. I was like stunned. It was the bomb really. I'd been hoping for a letter from you for six years. I had no idea that Momz was returning them to you. I only got this one because I bounced school at noon so I could celebrate on B'day. I confronted Momz with her deceit and betrayal. She reluctantly agreed to let me correspond with you. Like she could stop me! I wrote you but got the letter back saying you were no longer at the prison in Grant Parish. Uncle Clarence gave me your new address.

Momz refuses to bring me to see you, but I've asked Uncle Clarence to do it. He said he'll talk to Momz and see what he can work out. He also said not to get my hopes up. I was going to cut school one day and take a bus to see you, but Momz said I can't come by myself until I'm 16. Is that true or is it just another lie to keep us apart?

The picture you sent is awesome. I hadn't noticed that you had the same lopsided smile that I do until I got it. I got a picture printed at Walmart to send you. It's a selfie I took with my phone. I'll send a better one later.

I've been cleaning out the shed and making it into my own crib. Momz said I can keep anything of yours that I want. I'm gonna keep it all. I'm gonna put a TV in there so I can play video games with my friends. I'll have to put in a desk so that I can convince Momz I'm doing homework, whether I am or not.

I can't believe that Blue Ox is in there. I didn't even know you were a biker until Momz broke down and showed me some pictures of you on it before y'all married. She had hidden them. In fact, she took all the pictures of you out of the photo albums and filled the spaces with cutsey sayings and stuff. She didn't deep six the ones of us, though. They were in a box in the attic, and she let me have them. I made a scrapbook of you and me. It really got her goat, lol. I searched everywhere for the key to the Ox. Where did you hide it? I know I can't drive it, but maybe I can get Uncle Clarence to take me for a spin. I asked him if he knew where you hid the key, but he said I'd have to ask you. I guess you're pretty good at keeping secrets. I know you don't talk to Momz, so I'm pretty sure you won't rat me out to her if I sneak off with Uncle Clarence for a ride. I can tell her that you wanted him to have the bike until I'm old enough. I'm sure she'll totally buy it. She pretty much trusts me or did until I went ballistic when I found your card. We've worked out a truce, though, so I'm out of the doghouse.

I love you, Popz. I never really stopped. I tried to when I thought you didn't care about me, but it never really worked. You don't need to ask my forgiveness. There's nothing to forgive. I've learned about addiction in school. It's a disease. Momz should have tried to get you help instead of throwing you out and turning you in to the cops. She's the one who needs forgiveness. I'm not ready to forgive her, and I don't imagine you are either. Her actions towards you were wrong and returning the letters to you was wrong. She has kept us apart for as long as she can. Now that I know you love me, we'll find a way. This letter is only the start.

Write back.

Love, CW

I addressed the letter and put a stamp on it. The next morning I took it with me and dropped it in a mailbox near the school. I could have put it in our mailbox for the postman to pick up, but I didn't trust Momz. In fact, when I didn't get a quick shout out back from Popz, I thought that Momz hijacked the first letter. I now knew better, but I decided not to give her the chance to screw with my mail.

When I got to school, I bypassed the kids I grew up with and made my way to the big oak tree in the corner where the fringe kids hung out.

Jake and Marlow were leaning against the tree smoking. "Hey, man, whassup?" Jake said between puffs.