Chapter 24

The day of the arraignment, my rehab paid off. I did go to court in a wheelchair; Dr. Patel insisted. Because of my condition and the fact that we were coming from the hospital, I was first on the docket. Because of all the practice, I was able to stand smoothly and walk to the table where Grady said I had to sit with him.

The judge read the charge. "How do you plead, young man?" he asked, looking at me over a pair of reading glasses.

"Guilty, your honor."

"You understand that by pleading guilty, you are waving your right to a trial. You are admitting that you took the motorcycle without permission, but that you intended to return it."

"Yes, sir," I said. "And I would have if we hadn't wrecked it."

"So you say; that's an easy statement at this juncture" he said. "And you understand that I can sentence you to up to a year in juvenile detention."

I looked at Grady. "Yes, sir, I know you can, but..." Grady touched my arm. I stopped talking. I gulped. "Yes, sir."

"That 'but' meant you are aware of the plea agreement," the judge said. He turned to the DA. "Go ahead, tell the court your recommendation."

The DA stood and walked around to the front of his table. "We recommend one year's probation, six weeks of community service and anger management classes. This is his first offense, Your Honor. He made some poor choices while under the influence of some older adolescents he met at school. They are adults in the eyes of the law, even though they were still attending school. The state feels that these conditions are adequate, considering the circumstances."

"Thank you. I'll give your recommendation serious consideration." He looked down at his desk and ran his finger along a page. He turned to a guy who'd come in with him, I guess his legal assistant or something, and asked a question. "We'll hold the sentencing hearing on April 10th," he concluded.

"But that's over two months away," I said.

The judge looked over his glasses again. "You have some healing to do before you can do any kind of community service. I need time to poke into your life and find out if you deserve the terms the DA is offering. Two months isn't very long, legally speaking, or in life for that matter, at least when you're my age. I'm overworked and under paid. I haven't remanded you to a facility while you await my decision. I am leaving you in the custody of your mother. Just be thankful for what you got."

"Yes, sir." I slumped back in my chair.

Mom pushed the wheelchair up to the table. "It'll be okay, CW," she said.

I got up and sat in the chair. "I suppose it will have to be." I was thinking about the One Day with God thing Dad had talked about. It was in March. I guess that was out. Mom wouldn't even have to say no this time.

In the car, Mom asked, "Why don't we stop at Sonic on the way back and get you something to eat that isn't hospital fare?"

I had been off of mush for several days and was handling regular fare properly. According to the nurse that meant that I could "have a BM." The first time I crapped, I felt like a two-year old whose Mom claps for him when he uses the toilet. The nurse smiled and said, "You did good." Ugh. Who wants to be given kudos for poop?

"Whatever," I said.

Grady pulled in to Sonic. He turned to me. "Don't let this get you down," he said. "This judge is known for his thoroughness, but he's also known to be fair. If Jake and Marlow are the only skeletons in your closet, he should come down on your side. He could have appointed a guardian ad litem for you. That's someone who talks to you and can make recommendations to the judge. He or she is a guardian of your rights, protecting them and making sure no one infringes on them, including your parents. To me, the fact that he didn't appoint one means that he is satisfied that your Mom and I are doing an adequate job of protecting your rights."