Chapter 11

I was outta school for three days the next week, on account of Thanksgiving. I was bummed when I saw that Momz was actually off for the holiday. When I realized that meant she would be working the weekend and the guys and I would have three days to play games pretty much nonstop, I was down with it. I could play nice with Seth on Thanksgiving, but I hoped Momz would talk to him about my deal before then so we could get that settled. Then Clarence and I could make plans to visit Popz before Christmas.

On Monday, Jake asked, "Can you, like, leave the windows to F2 unlocked tomorrow? It's supposed to get really cold tonight. Our teachers ain't gonna to be doing anything cause half of the kids bounced early for the holidays. We want to take the day off and thought maybe we could hang in your crib for the afternoon, you know, after Wicked leaves for work."

When the guys hadn't bought my first excuses for locking F2 up tighter than a drum, I told them that it didn't matter anyway because Momz made me lock F2. Evidently there had been some B&Es in our neighborhood. The second part was true, and if I hadn't already been locking up, I'm sure she would have made me. Blaming Momz kept me off the hook and made her look even more evil.

"What about detention? You skip and you're gonna end up in Alternative School."

"Nah, Veep likes you. You got our backs," Marlow said. "Besides we'll be out all day, we just can't show at your place until Wicked leaves. They'll think we're sick or left for the holidays. Nobody's gonna be checking for slackers the day before Thanksgiving break."

The next morning, Momz was dressed and in the kitchen when I got downstairs. "Where're you going all decked out this early on a work day?" I asked.

Mom grinned at me. "Some of my 'homies' are going wedding dress shopping with me."

"A girl would say she and her BFFs are going to hit the shops for wedding threads, Momz. Just stick with old lady talk."

She rolled her eyes. "Whatever." She grabbed a hanger with her uniform. "I'm outta here. See you tonight."

I quickly texted Jake, "Momz bounced F2 safe."

I briefly thought about joining the guys, but I knew if Momz got a call from the school, I would be grounded for both Turkey Day and Christmas. I couldn't risk that. I wasn't as sure as Marlow that the school could care in the least what we did the day before the holidays.

When I got home and opened the door to F2, I was met with a haze; the smoke in the room was, like, major.

"You guys don't know how to ventilate?" I pushed a window open.

"Too cold," Jake said. "The NHW old bags might connect the dots and call the cops."

"You're probably right. The Sue Sue Maya next door is a bitchin' witch."

"What's a Sue Sue Maya?" Marlow asked.

"It's supposed to be Finish for busybody. My aunt named her dog Sue Sue Maya. It's sort of a family thing."

"Sue Sue Maya," Jake said. "I like it."

"Welcome to the family," I said with a laugh.

We played like demons. We almost forgot to eat. When angry dog noises came from my gut, I looked at my phone.

"Man, it's already after 8. Pizza again?"

Jake took a swig of his beer. He'd been drinking pretty much nonstop since I got there and was getting sloshed.

"Chure, man, whatever." He was starting to slur his words.

By the time the pizza actually showed an hour later, Jake and Marlow both were losing energy and weapons right and left.