Chapter 14

It was quite around the house for the next couple of days. I got up and ate my breakfast, without acknowledging Momz presence. When I got in from school, I went straight to F2. When she called me to supper, I came, but I ate in silence. If she tried to start a conversation, I ignored her. I figured that as long as I did my chores, did my homework and ate what she considered healthy foods, she wouldn't punish me. There was no rule that said you had to talk.

On Friday, Momz went back to work. I was relieved to get home to an empty house. When I opened the front door, there were two letters for me on the table in the foyer. One was from Popz. The other was from Momz. There was a post-it on the letter with Momz handwriting. "If you're treating me the way you treat your Dad, you have to read this and respond. That's what you do with your Dad's letters. No more return to sender."

She had me dead to rights, but I didn't have to read hers first or answer it immediately.

I grabbed some snacks. Momz had made cookies and brownies the last two days, trying to entice me with the smells when I got in from school. I had ignored her, but now that she was gone, I could chow down. I took the eats, a coke and my letters to F2. I popped a couple of brownies in the microwave for a few seconds and opened Popz letter.

Dear CW:

I got your church doodle. Your artwork has sure improved since the last time I sat in church with you. You always had talent, but this is really good. What a great way to bring Jonah into the 20th century. I taped it inside my locker. We're not allowed to tape things to the walls, but whenever I open my locker, I see it and grin. Some other guys have seen it too and asked about it. I got to tell them about Jonah and how God used him. God is using you here, even if you've never darkened the inside of these walls.

We have a newspaper here. It's called the Chainlink Chronicle. Do you care if I submit your cartoon to the paper? They print original poems, stories and art work. Anyone can submit something, free people and inmates. I bought a subscription to it for you. You'll start getting it in the mail in January, but it'll actually be the December issue. It's usually mailed out around the 10th of the month, give or take a few days – or sometimes weeks.

I was disappointed that Patty didn't let you come for Angel Tree. I thought maybe she'd get into the Christmas Spirit, but I'm still praying for her. There's a One Day With God camp in March, a couple of weeks before Easter. I've requested that you be invited to attend. Kids come to the prison at 9AM and spend a day with their Dads. There are games, crafts, worship, eats, lots of fun stuff. But the last hour is spent just talking. A ODWG volunteer will contact your Mom to see if you can come. They can be pretty persuasive. I'm asking you to pray about the camp. Pray that your Mom will be receptive. Please do not mention it to her at all. No begging and pleading or bargaining. I'm only telling you about this so you can pray for God to make Mom's heart receptive.

I looked up from the letter and stared into space. Like I was going to pray. I'd prayed for God to intervene when Dad moved out. I'd prayed for four years after Popz got arrested. It had done no good. My prayers just rattled around in the attic and got nowhere. God didn't come to Popz rescue; he sent him to prison and kept him there. He didn't change Momz. I quit praying when I was 12. I wasn't wasting my time praying now. I couldn't understand how Popz could do that either. I guess being locked up did strange things to your mind. But I would honor his request not to bug Momz. I wasn't talking to her anyway. Even if I was, I wouldn't talk about ODWG. She always just blew me off when it came to Popz.

I shook my head and went back to reading. Popz was starting to sound like a preacher. This was weird.

I'm glad you liked your wallet. You didn't mention the note I left you in the hidden compartment. Did you find it?