Chapter 27

I told Aunt Glory that it looked like we might have to wait days, maybe even until next week. "Good thing I got you all relaxed then," she said. "Why don't you invite some friends over and we'll break out monopoly."

I looked down at my feet. "I don't exactly have friends."

"What happened to them?"

"My new homies are in jail, and I'm about to testify against them. I guess they weren't really friend material. They told the cops lies about me to try and rope me into going down with them for some robberies and stuff." I stared over her shoulder and out the window. "My old friends probably aren't speaking to me right now. They weren't wild about me hanging with Jake and Marlow in the first place, and then we smashed BJ all up. He was my like my BF since we played with trucks in the sand box. BJ was the reason they were my friends..." I trailed off.

"I remember BJ," Aunt Glory said. "He was the one with the red hair, freckles, a majestic nose, and big ears, right?"

"Yeah, that's him. But he grew into the nose and ears."

"It's too bad that BJ's friends blame you. Sure you stole the bike, but it wasn't like you meant to run him down." She snapped her fingers. "Enough of that." A wicked grin took over her face. "Okay, then." She waggled her finger back and forth between us. "It's you and me battling out economic warfare. I was trying to let you save face by offering to let your friends participate. I'll try not to bankrupt you too soon."

It was a battle royal. For some reason the Free Parking Jackpot my family used smiled on me late in the game. At 11, Aunt Glory threw in the towel. "I think you're playing with loaded dice. Nobody lands on Free Parking that much."

I grinned. "We're using the same dice," I pointed out. "I was just getting back at you for laser tag."

I went to bed smiling and slept soundly, despite the fact that I was playing the hurry up and wait game, again.

The next morning Aunt Glory made waffles topped with fresh fruit and whipped cream. I guess she was trying to cheer me up. After breakfast, she shooed me into the study. No day off this time.

After my tutor left, she had BLTs waiting. I guess she thought I needed to gain back the weight I lost while I was in the hospital. When I finished lunch, I got up from the table and put my dishes in the dishwasher. "I'm gonna go do my exercises and then maybe we can play Crib or Farkle or Yahtzee or something."

"Your exercises can wait until later." She cocked her hand like a gun and pointed it at me. "I have a suggestion. Why don't we go visit BJ?"

"He doesn't want to see me."

"And how do you know?"

"I've seen the things his friends posted on Facebook about me being a loser and all. His Mom posted a picture of him now that he's awake, so I'm sure he's had time to catch up on everything. No, he doesn't want to see me."

"Well, maybe you need to see him. Don't you think it would go a long way if you could ask for his forgiveness?"

"I sent him a card."

"How many cards did you get while you were in the hospital?"

"Like, thousands."

"And how many of those people came to visit?"

"A handful."

"Who did you think was most sincere, the people who sent cards?"

"No. I figured they were just sending them because they know Mom or to silence their consciences for staying away. It's easy to send a card saying you're praying or thinking good thoughts, but it doesn't really mean much -- unless you, like, live in Hong Kong or something." I didn't want to hurt Aunt Glory's feelings, after all she sent a card.