Chapter 16

The condo Pawpaw snagged was AWESOME. It was right on the beach, but there was a huge pool, too. You could go back and forth between the two. We had the whole fifth floor. There were four bedrooms, two complete bathrooms and a huge open living area that included a living room, kitchen and dining area. A balcony overlooked the pools and the beach. Pawpaw and Mawmaw didn't even have to come down to the beach to keep an eye on me. They could just sit on the balcony. Momz and Seth were out and about most afternoons and evenings, exploring. We generally ate brunch together before they took off. No one but Mawmaw and Pawpaw got up early enough to have a conventional breakfast. Keeping the peace wasn't too difficult.

I had the smallest bedroom and the one closest to the outside door. It had it's own tiny bathroom. It evidently was designed as the maid's quarters and so was placed just inside the door by the kitchen. It was perfect for me. I could get to the eats without waking anyone up, when I got the late night craving. Momz and Seth each had their own bedroom, but they shared a bathroom. Pawpaw and Mawmaw had the master bedroom and bath.

The first day the adults went shopping in Puerto Vallarta for eats and such. I begged off. I took my fantasy book and my yo-yo and went down to the pool. The place was deserted. I sat my stuff on the table and took a quick swim, lapping the pool a couple of times. I climbed out, toweled off, and picked up my yo-yo. I started by just making it go up and down. Once I got the hang of it, I tried what looked like a pretty easy trick called walking the dog. My dog didn't exactly want to walk. I was about to throw the darned yo-yo into the ocean, or bay, or whatever the body of water by the beach was when a voice behind me said, "I take it you're a yo-yo rookie."

I turned, startled. A chick about my age was standing behind me with a smile on her face. She had on a bikini that showed off her curves. I tried not to stare.

"Yeah." I sort of stared past her as I felt my cheeks turn red. "You startled me. I didn't think anyone else was out here."

About that time three young boys cannonballed into the pool, splashing us with water.

"I wish." She started toweling off. She shouted something in Spanish and shot the bird at the boys. "Those crazies are my brothers," she said. "Name's Sasha Gonzalez."

"CW Braisford." I wondered if Mexican's shook hands or if they just did the kissy cheek thing. She hadn't offered her hand, though, so I didn't either. "Your first name doesn't sound Spanish. And your English is really good."

"My name's not Spanish. My Mom was reading a novel with a Russian heroine when she was pregnant with me. So, I'm Sasha. My English comes from attending the American School my whole life. What's CW for?"

"You'd rather not know," I screwed up my nose. "Nothing as cool as Sasha. And my Spanish is pretty much non-existent. I've got hola, audios, gracias, and denada down pat, though."

She laughed. "That's okay. The terrible three," she waved at her brothers, "speak very little English. The twins are five. They just started at the American school. The little one is only three, so he's got a couple of years before he's in school. If we speak English, they can't tell my parents anything I say." She slid her sunglasses down on her nose so she was looking over them. She sort of batted her eyelashes. "Now, tell me. What's CW for?"

I could feel the red creeping up my neck again. "Chauncy Wayne," I whispered. "Don't tell anyone or you forfeit your life."

"Yeah, I'd stick to CW, too. Good thing it's not Wayne Chauncy. Then you'd be WC. Who wants to be named after the bathroom."

"What?" Then it clicked in. "Oh, you mean water closet. That's British. Most Americans don't even know it means the bathroom." I changed the subject. "Where is your school? I didn't know they had an American school in Vallarta."