Chapter 34

When we finished our lamps, we put them in a bag they gave us to keep things in. Next, there were some worship songs and some clowns. We were all grouped around the stage in a vacant place left on the floor for that purpose. Some were sitting on the floor in front of the stage while others stood behind them. We moved to the music and laughed at the clowns. At least most of us did. Tiger Girl stood by her Dad near the wall with her arms crossed. She rolled her eyes while her Dad waved his hands in the air and tried to follow the sign language words the clowns were doing.

I whispered in Dad's ear, "I'll be right back."

I started across the room. Mr. Hugh started to follow. I shook my head at him. I came up beside Tiger Girl. I tapped her on the arm and signaled her to come with me. She shrugged and followed me. Her Dad kept singing, but his eyes followed us to the back of the room.

I sat at a table. She sat beside me.

"Look," I said. "I know you have the reds towards your Dad and maybe he deserves it, but things aren't always what they seem. At least they weren't at my house."

"How so?"

"My Dad tried writing to me for the last six years, but Mom sent all of his letters back without telling me. I thought he hated me and blamed me because he got caught with drugs while he was waiting for me outside my school. Then I found some circumstantial evidence and blamed my Mom for turning Dad in to the cops. Both times I was wrong. Why don't you give your Dad a chance? Even if he did something awful, hating him is eating you from the inside out. Dad's can change. Mine did. At first I didn't like the change. I thought he was wimping out when he started talking about being in God's corner. Now, I know better. Put your mad away and have fun. That doesn't mean you forget whatever it is he's done that makes you want to hurt him. It just means that you're a big enough person to give him another chance. And besides, the day won't drag on and on if you're having fun."

"So you say." That was all she said. But when she got back to her Dad, she sat down and watched the clowns. She even laughed.

A lady named Scottie Barnes was next on the program. She told us that her Dad had been in prison. She talked about how she felt lonely and unloved. She said she started One Day With God so that other children would not feel the way she did. "God asked me to help kids whose parents are in prison. Did you know that kids with parents in prison are seven times more likely to get in trouble with the law?" she asked. "We hope that kids, who get to spend time with their Dads and who know that their Dads love them, will turn away from behavior that could get them locked up. We know that when Dads love and pray for their kids, it covers a lot of messing up." Let me read you what the Bible says in I Peter 4. 'Love covers a multitude of sins.' Today is your day to love your Dad and let him love on you. I hope it changes your life."

After she gave her talk, she prayed for us. I peaked. Tiger Girl actually closed her eyes.

After Ms. Scottie prayed, she introduced our inspirational speaker for the event, Tyrann Mathieu, a safety for the Arizona Cardinals.

Tiger Girl's eyes got a big as saucers. She looked over at me. "That's the Honey Badger. He played for LSU," she mouthed.

I grinned. "I know," I mouthed back.

Tyrann started by telling us that he'd been where we are. "My Dad is in prison," he said, "has been for a long time now." He told how he had acted out and how Jesus had finally gotten to him. Tiger Girl was hanging on his every word.

"I guess she doesn't think he's a freak like she did Sue," I thought.

Afterwards, the Honey Badger signed footballs and gave them to us kids. He took pictures with us too. All of that was going on while we ate our lunches.