Chapter 33

Just then I heard a loud wail. I looked over. A woman in purple was holding onto a tiny girl with a huge set of lungs. The woman was holding her in a backwards hug and trying to talk into her ear. The girl was fighting to get away and run after her mother, who was being led away by another woman in purple.

"Some of the young ones can't understand why they're here. It's really hard for the Mom to walk away while her daughter screams. But you watch, by lunch she'll be all over her Dad, and she'll cry when she has to leave, too."

I shook my head in disbelief. "My Mom would have just scooped me up and taken me home."

"That's what they all want to do. Mom will be taken to where she can watch without her daughter seeing her. They're going to take the little girl to get a balloon and get her face painted. When Mom sees that she's settled down, she'll let her stay."

"So what happens when she sees her Dad?"

"When they're that young, they usually are shy and cling to the volunteer for a while. Especially an only child like that. If she had brothers or sisters, they could calm her and get her to interact with Dad right away. Eventually, though, she'll warm up to her Dad." He motioned to another table. "Have you eaten? The sticky buns are made here at RCC. They're really good. And they have juices or water."

I got a bun and some orange juice. My cereal with raspberries had worn off. While we are eating, I looked around. There were kids of all ages, and more kept coming. There was a clown blowing balloon shapes. The little girl who had been crying was watching in fascination as he made her a poodle. Three face painters were decorating the faces of kids sitting in chairs in front of them. I could see through the gate. There were a bunch of gazebos inside a white picket fence. There was some kiddie playground equipment, too. To the right was what was obviously a church. We had seen the steeple from the end of the road.

Hugh must have seen me looking. "We're going to be over by the chapel or inside it all day. The gazebos and playground are for picnic visits with regular visitors." We threw our trash away. "Do you want to get your face painted? They can do some really cool sports logos."

I had seen a girl near my age walk by with half her face painted like a purple and gold tiger. "Sure." We walked over to the empty chair in front of one of the painters. She turned towards me and asked in a bass voice, "What's your pleasure, son."

I did a double take. It was a guy. He was slender and about 5'5" tall. His long brown hair with a sprinkling of gray was pulled back in a ponytail. His right arm sported a tat of a girl with long blond hair leaning out of a tower.

I guess he saw me do the double take. He laughed. "Bet you thought I was a she from the back. I get that all the time. I really should cut my hair, but I'm used to the weight." He pointed to the tattoo. "That's my daughter, Bella. I told her I was keeping her in a tower and away from guys until she's 30." He held out his hand. "Name's Sue." When I gulped, and tentatively held out my hand, he let out a laugh that made people turn and stare. "Actually it's Frank Sue Donelan," he said when he calmed down.

I grinned. "Is your middle name really Sue?"

"Unfortunately. I used to try to hide the fact, but ever since the song 'A Boy Named Sue' came out in 69, I've used it to my advantage."

"You got me," I said. " I was expecting a Suzy based on height, hair and tat. But I don't think I've ever heard that song."

He laughed. "Only if your Mom forces you to listen to the oldies station. So what can I do you for?"

"Can you do a fleur de lis for the Saints?"

He patted the chair. "You bet your sweet bippy. I suppose you don't' get that reference either."