Chapter 15

I got home before eleven, so I grabbed the fantasy novel I was working on and plopped down in the porch swing. I was so deep in a world of dragons that I didn't notice Seth drive in until he honked.

I had decided to do the shopping thing and spend as much of Momz money as I could. If she wanted to send me shopping to keep me away from Popz, I figured I'd make her regret it. I knew Seth was taking me to an Outlet Mall, so I wouldn't be paying full price.

Since we were beaching it, I bought three pairs of swim trunks and some flip- flops. I stopped by the Sunglass Hut and got some Ray Bans. At Bass Pro I got a float with a mesh middle and an inflatable edge. The picture showed kids floating on them in the ocean, but they folded up really small. I bought a couple of pairs of cargo shorts at Old Navy and a few Ts at Guess. I finally snagged a couple pairs of jeans at Abercrombie.

"You missed the fragrance shop," Seth said dryly as we exited Abecrombie.

"It's the beach," I said. "Duh."

"You want Chili's or Cracker Barrel?" He pointied to the two restaurants at the fringe of the mall.

"Chili's."

We went in and ordered. I took out my phone and checked the games I played on line. When the drinks came, Seth said, "Do you think we could talk, you know face to face."

"Whassup?" I put my phone away. My beef was with Momz, not him.

"Nothing. I just thought maybe we should get to know each other better, since I'm going to be living at your place soon."

"Look, I told you I don't need a Dad, and I've got homies. Momz and I are living together without much 'face to face.' You and I can do the same."

"Yeah, and how's that working out? You ignoring your Mom?"

"Okay, as far as I know."

"So you think she's okay with it?"

"Not completely down with it, but she seems to be hanging in there."

"Cut her some slack." He sort of smiled, but it didn't reach his eyes. "She's trying."

"And you're good with that? Her trying and not really succeeding in banishing Popz ghost?"

"What she's trying to get past isn't some ghost. It's real pain. She blames herself, you know."

"Well, she should. She turned him in – to the police."

"Who told you that?" 

"Nobody had to tell me anything. I saw the pictures in the newspaper after the trial. It showed some of the evidence against him. They were the same pictures Momz has in that scrapbook she keeps of her failed marriage. The ones she got the private eye to take. She gave copies to the police. They set Popz up. She's a rat. End of story. "

"No, it's a fairy tale, the story you just told." He bit down on each word like it was a piece of gristle.

"How so?"

"Your Mom did pay a PI to shadow your Dad and get her evidence of his continued addiction. When she threw him out, she told him if he got straight he could come back. She could tell that wasn't going to happen. She used the pictures to force him to sign the divorce papers. She still has her copies. You saw them."

"Yeah, so. Copy machines are pretty good, no?"

"So, she didn't turn your Dad in to the police. When the PI was tailing your Dad, he saw something no Dad wants to see. He saw his son buying pills from your Dad. A month after the PI turned the pictures over to your Mom, his son overdosed. He blamed your Dad. He had the negatives for the pictures he'd taken for your Mom. He took copies and went to the police. Your Mom was just as surprised as everyone else when Paul was arrested. She's blamed herself for years, when it wasn't her fault at all. Paul made his own bed; he had to sleep in it. Actions have consequences, and they usually catch up to you."