Humiliated!

James kept looking over at me during dinner. Probably to make sure I wasn't watching Lily. I usually let my eyes wonder to Severus, but this time they stayed on James once I noticed he was watching me. I hope it intimidated him. No, better not hope for that. He'll think I'm challenging him for Lily.
    After we are dismissed to roam about until bedtime, James comes over to my seat, smirking. I look up at him, not completely finished with my food. "Yes?"
    "I know something you don't."
    "And that is?"
    "Finish eating first. Then I'll show you."
    "I really don't want to deal with your jokes, James."
    "It's not a joke."
    "Then what is it?"
    "A prank that the school will enjoy." I suddenly notice everyone in the school crowding the two of us.
    "James, you never tell me of the pranks you pull on me. Why now?" I sigh and stand, not interested in food any longer.
    "Because I want you to know I did it."
    "Super humiliating then? I'll try not to cry." I say sarcastically, rolling my eyes.
    "James, maybe you shouldn't have. It's cruel."
    "Remus, he deserves it."
    "Maybe so, but it's still cruel."
    "What do I deserve, James?" I see Severus out of the corner of my eye, head down. I know he's wishing he could help. I look at him sympathetically. "Severus, don't worry. It can't be too bad if he's telling me." He raises his head and forces a smile and a nod toward me. I know it pains him, but I smile at him for the effort.
    "You two are weird. (M/N), do you or do you not have a crush on someone in our year?"
    "I do." What am I saying? Why am I answering him?
    "Is that person Lily Evans?"
    "No James. I do not like Lily in that way."
    "Wh-what? How can that be!? I slipped Veritaserum into your drink! You should be telling the truth."
    "I am." Dammit, Veritaserum!? That's the truth potion!
    "B-but you said you like someone in our year! I thought for sure it was Lily!"
    "James, I'm into guys. Not girls." I say it calmly, and only to where he can hear. His jaw drops slightly, but he quickly regains his composure.
    "Then who do you like, (M/N)? Speak loud enough for the entire school to hear." I bite back my answer. I may not be able to hold it in long, but I can stall.
    "Are you embarrassed?"
    "James, you're going too far!"
    "Remus, please. I'm curious now. I'm no longer doing it to humiliate him."
    "That doesn't mean he won't be humiliated when he has to tell the entire school."
    "Then he can just whisper it."
    "No. I'll face my fear."
    "Brave (M/N) mmm? How long have you had a crush on the person, and who is it?"
    "I've liked him since the first day of first year." I take a deep breath and close my eyes, hoping this is all a dream and he will never know what I'm about to say. "Severus Snape." The crowd falls silent, and I don't dare open my eyes. Please let this be a dream. A whisper makes its way through the people, and I feel tears slipping. I open my eyes to push my way through the mob, to Myrtle's bathroom.
    Please, no one follow me. Please. I hear steps running after me, and run faster. Myrtle looks at me questioningly as I run past her, into one of the stalls. "(M/N)? What's wr-" Myrtle is cut off as my chaser runs in after me. I pull my legs up so they can't see where I am.
    "(M/N)! We know you're in here!" James? What? Why did he come after me? "I'm sorry. What I did was wrong. I'm so sorry."
    "Sirius and I feel guilty as well." Remus?
    "Peter is laughing his ass off in the great hall. I swear I'll-"
    "Sirius!"
    "Sorry Remus."
    "Go away! Please..." I sob quietly.
    "What did you do to him, James?" Myrtle is always there for me. I'll thank her again later.
    "I thought he was head over heels for Lily, so I slipped some Veritasirum into his drink. I asked him if he liked anyone in our year, and he said yes. When he said no about liking Lily, I got curious. I asked who he liked, and for how long he had. And made him tell the entire school... I'm so sorry (M/N)!"
    "You should be, James! Those are his innermost feelings he's hidden away from Severus!"
    "You knew, Myrtle?"
    "Of course I knew. (M/N) and I are good friends. And I won't let the likes of you bother him right now. Out!"
    "I'm so sorry (M/N)! I promise! And it was solely me; Remus, Sirius, and Peter had nothing to do with it. I'm so sorry to humiliate you like that." I just sob a bit louder in response. No way am I forgiving him! He ruined my friendship with this stupid prank!
    "Out, you three!" Myrtle appears in the stall I'm in, and asks me quietly, "Would you like for me to ask them to send Severus in?" I shake my head fast.
    "N-no. He c-could never l-like me b-back. E-even if he d-did, I d-don't want him to s-see me c-crying."
    "Of course. Out you three!" She disappears, and I hear three sets of footsteps leave. I sigh in relief and let the floodgates open. Today was the last day Severus and I will ever speak again, I know it.