Chapter 4

Luke's P.O.V. 

I stood next to Dad in slight awe at the pack in front of me. All the Ashworth brothers were here, they were the superheroes of wolves. We had already been introduced, most of them liked me, Axel even let me give him a tour of the pack house. I heard a whine from our pack and immediately knew who it was.

Isabel bristled at being placed with the rest of the ladies in the pack, I haven't officially introduced her as my companion yet so she couldn't stand with me like she wanted to. It was a blow to her pride as she boasts to everyone about our relationship. People didn't believe that we would last because we aren't true mates but I was determined to prove them wrong. 

"Alpha Ashworth," Dad said to the gathered packs, "we're terribly sorry for your loss and we're happy to extend helping hands to you." 

"Thank you," Alpha Ashworth said. I liked him; he was kind and open but tolerated no shit from anyone. 

That was the type of alpha I am going to be. All of a sudden a blonde sandy haired boy around my age came running from the forest, frantically out of breath. A brown haired girl pushed herself forward, I guess she was his mate, and comforted him,

"Cael," Alpha Ashworth commanded his attention, "what's wrong?"

"Anastasia," the boy breathed and there was an immediate change within their pack. 

The pack members moved to the edges as Damien, Axel and Nyal shifted. Asher and Ari stepped away from their mates and I vaguely heard a conversation about a tranquilizer gun. Alpha Ashworth mind linked someone and stood calmly at the centre of the clearing, apparently waiting for something.

"Simon, what is going on?" Dad asked with a bit of hostility.

"Peace Jonathan," Alpha Ashworth replied calmly, "it's nothing we can't handle and I assure you that your pack is safe." I sensed Dad's uneasiness and brought my wolf just below the surface, ready to shift if need be.

A black wolf came barreling out of nowhere; I barely caught sight of it as it sprinted past the packs. Hot on its heels was a dark brown wolf, Alpha Ashworth acted fast, catching the wolf around its middle and pushing it back. The wolf stood its ground well.

My eyes open wide as I took in the size of the wolf. It was just a head and a half smaller than me but that was no excuse for the sheer aggression that radiated off the wolf. Whispers and gasps were heard from my pack as the wolf stared Alpha Ashworth down, baring its blood stained teeth.

Luke, Bryan, my best friend and Harvey's son mind linked me, I'm going with Dad to check the northern boundary. Apparently this wolf killed a rogue wolf. I nodded as I refocused on the situation at hand. I felt a pull towards this wolf. My wolf was itching to go towards the beast in front of us. Damien, Nyal and Axel surrounded this wolf whose snarling increased by tenfold.

"Anastasia," Alpha Ashworth said gently. Her name echoed in my head, such a beautiful name for a feral creature. "Shift, I know you can fight her."

The wolf snarled in defiance and tensed, ready to attack. "C'mon Ana-bear, don't make us do this again." My wolf was going mad, trying to push me forward to protect her. The dark brown wolf growled and lunged forward.