Chapter 38

Luke's P.O.V.

I jolted awake from my sleep suddenly, my heart pounding and eyes darting wildly as I didn't recognise the room I was in but what really scared me was that I woke up to an empty bed with the sheets were Ana had laid the night balled in my fist.

Morning, Ana cooed soothingly in my head. I'm in the kitchen. Come down for breakfast.

I growled lowly, intended just for Ana but riled up the other wolves in the house. Ana called out a "Sorry". I got up and used Ana's adjoining washroom. I squinted as I stepped back into the bedroom as Ana's room was brightly lit with her cream curtains. She had pulled back the backing when she had left this morning, her walls were tastefully littered with her art and perfumed with some sort of mint scent from her diffuser.

I pulled on a T shirt before heading downstairs where the Ashworth family was gathered. Ana was at the stove talking excited with Rowan, Jared, Asher and Ari, catching up with the latest news. The older members of the Ashworth family were sitting around the huge dining table with my parents, discussing business over pots of steaming coffee and tea on the table.

"Good morning," Ana chorused happily as I buried my face in her neck, kissing her mark in greeting. "Breakfast will be done in a few."

"How is your ankle?" I murmured against her skin.

"Fine."

"Rotate it please." Ana raised her mending ankle as she stirred the oatmeal and the cracking sounds from her joint made her family look over in concern.

"You're not skipping physiotherapy again," I growled, gripping her tighter, "I've let it slide because you've been doing a lot of work but not anymore."

"Yes," Ana answered half-seriously, half distracted. "Breakfast is ready!" she switched off the stoves and Asher and Ari came over to help us carry the dishes to the table. I frowned as Ana picked at her food, something I've never seen her do before, and Alpha Ashworth was unusually quiet.

"Alright," Axel growled, "what the fuck is going on?" He jabbed his fork accusingly at Ana and his father. "What have you two been hiding?"

"Axel," Damien reprimanded, "we agreed; not over breakfast."

Axel called Damien a name that caused both Ana and Alpha Ashworth to growl. "I don't care. They've been talking behind our backs and I hate being left in the dark, just like you Anastasia."

Ana tensed, aware that the last part of his attack was meant to guilt her but Ana kept her cool, something that what would've been impossible months ago. She looked at Axel, "Don't get angry at me."

"Then would you care to tell us?" Axel sneered at his father. Alpha Ashworth had all the attention on him, something that made my skin itch but after countless meetings and working with him, I had begun learning his ways of handling a situation.

Alpha Ashworth calmly ate the last piece of his omelette before placing his utensils down. He levelled his gaze with Axel, who had Asher and Jared with an arm on either of his shoulders, as he chewed and swallowed. Ana's fingers sought mine and I grasped her hand under the table, her pulse racing and her palms clammy.

"My boys," Alpha Ashworth said solemnly, "I want you to know that each and every one of you are a blessing in my life. I love each one of you dearly. My daughter, you are the light of my life and the reason I could make it through every day and do what I do. For many years I have balanced my love for you and my love and duty for my pack but I am afraid that I can no longer continue this, not after seeing you all so hurt and nearly losing one of my children."