Chapter 7

Anastasia's P.O.V.

I laughed as I walked with my new friend, Seth, to the cafeteria. We just had Psychology together and instead of mind linking Xaden, I decided to get know Seth better. He was a good friend, easy going, a bit shy but a gentleman. Seth grinned as he opened the door to the cafeteria.

"This is the cafeteria," he announced. I looked around taking in the room. There were groups of friends scattered everywhere, sitting at the plastic tables as sunlight streamed in from the overhead skylight. There were also huge windows that gave us a beautiful view of the surrounding forest.

"Seniors are allowed to leave during lunch if they want something different from the cafeteria food. Just go to the principal's office to get a card and punch it in when you leave and return," Seth said.

My hand traveled down to my pocket where the keys to the Nissan Pathfinder that Emma had lent to us so we wouldn't have to walk to school every day. "Thanks Seth," I smiled at the brown haired boy.

I suddenly felt eyes on me and looked up and instantly met the glassy blue eyes of my mate. My heart thudded painfully as I saw Luke's girlfriend, who I now knew as Isabel, coil her arms around his muscular one, forcing him to look away. I sighed as I shook my head and looked back at Seth who was looking at me pitifully.

"I guess this is where we separate," I said lightheartedly, "I'll give you your book back before school ends."

"Don't stress yourself," Seth said seriously, "we don't have any homework due for Psych. Return it tomorrow." I smiled at his kindness. "See ya around Ana." I waved to him as I walked to the other side of the cafeteria where my friends had grabbed a table.

"New friend?" Cael asked as I sat down.

"Yup, Seth Johansson," I replied.

Xaden distractedly nudged a tray in my direction. I glanced up and saw his eyes glued to his phone; no doubt that he was texting Steffie. I smiled and began eating. They had chosen a great spot however; it gave us a clear view of the "head" table. I swallowed dryly, relieved that Xaden sat opposite me, blocking my view.

Hayley looked up from the book she was reading. "So, how was the homeroom rendezvous?" she asked as she and  Kenna leaned forward excitedly.

"It went quite well," I said through bites of the chicken wrap. "Basic introductions and he just directed me to class." I tried playing it off has no big deal but to my wolf and I, it was a huge step forward.

"There was an annoying smile on her face for the entire of Physics," Xaden commented without looking up from the screen.

"Well sorry for not being an emotionless rock," I threw back at him.

"It's a huge step forward," Kenna agreed, "given the situation. I think you two will be together in no time."

"Um Kenna," Cael said softly, "you may want to take that back."

Catcalls and whistles made us look up but before I could crane to see past Xaden, he squared his shoulders, making it impossible for me to see. I growled a little and stood up, not wanting to miss out on the action.

My heart dropped and I felt like I was punched in the gut when I saw Isabel in Luke's lap, practically making out. Her arm was wound around his neck while one of his was on her waist and the other holding her hand in place as she cupped his cheek. I visibly convulsed and I staggered back as I processed the scene.