Chapter 13

Anastasia's P.O.V.

My head hit the window as the car hit a bump. I hissed as I opened my eyes, waiting patiently for it to adjust to the darkness inside the car.

"You alright there Ana?" Damien asked from behind the wheel. Nyal looked at me over his shoulder.

"This is a Pathfinder, find a smoother path," I grumbled as I leaned on the shoulder of a sleeping Jared.

They chuckled and the car fell into silence again. We were currently en route to our old lands. Damien, Nyal and I had undertaken surveillance duty of our land and found it odd that they were practically left untouched. This made us take a huge risk, going back home. We had several missions to complete and hopefully we won't get killed.

"Xaden is covering for you in school right?" Nyal asked, the reflections of the tablet screen dancing in his glasses.

"Yup, if we get delayed he will talk to the principal and my teachers discreetly," I replied, my senses perking up as the dark surroundings became more familiar.

"Hopefully he wouldn't have to do that," Jared muttered sleepily. 

I saw the shift within my brothers, the same feelings I got as we crossed over into our lands. This was our home. Damien kept to the borders as we drove to the remote area of our lands.

I exhaled calmly as Damien came to a stop as the headstone appeared. He switched off the engine but kept the lights on as silence came over us. I hadn't been up here since her birthday, it was hard to talk to someone you hardly remembered.

"C'mon," Nyal said gently, "we're on a schedule." Everyone nodded and got out of the car, Damien opened the trunk and he and I took out the silver stakes and wire while Nyal took out the mallet. 

I stayed silent as Damien's pain mentally washed over me. I looked up at my brother, proud that he was able to keep himself together. Jared was sitting in front the gravestone, his head buried in his arms.

Damien got to work, driving the stakes into the dirt with the mallet. I took my gloves from Nyal who was on surveillance duty and carefully got to work threading the wire through the holes in the stakes. The forest was cool and quiet around us, the waxing crescent moon shining down on us. My wolf constantly beat against my senses, wanting to run free on home soil. It was hard to keep her at bay as her strength grew with as the full moon approached, only my work with the silver kept her bay.

I looked up at Damien as I finished the last of the wire fence. It was over a foot tall, with numerous strands of silver forming the fence; no wolf would be able to slip a hand or a paw in between them. Damien and Nyal brought the top piece, a cover built similarly to the fence, over.

Nyal gestured to Jared's huddled form, our time was up. I stepped over the fence and rest my hand on his shoulder. I smiled weakly as he looked up at me teary eyed and tilted my head in their direction.

Jared sighed as he stood up, looking at the gravestone one more time before stepping over. I looked the marble headstone even though I didn't need to, the words were forever seared into my brain. Nyal's and Damien's footsteps broke me out of my reverie.

"Bye Mom," I murmured before stepping out. They lowered the cover before screwing it into place.