Chapter 34

Luke's P.O.V.

I watched as the doctors and my parents talked in the corner of the room. My head was fuzzy as I leaned into the warmth of Ana's chest as she lay curled up on my bed, almost like a mother protecting her child. She growled lowly as she stroked my hair, not pleased with the exclusion.

We were inseparable since the moment I opened my eyes, Anastasia being insanely protective over me, being strong for the two of us as I could not protect her. From what we were hearing, it would take a solid three weeks again before I got out of here.

They're annoying me, Ana muttered. I looked up her, my heart hurting as I saw the pain in her eyes. I closed my unbandaged eye as she traced the skin beneath my injured one. I kissed her softly, trying to relax her. She was not sleeping well as my nightmares, coupled with her brothers', kept her busy, hobbling in between the rooms. I kissed her neck, my mark, not ready for verbal discussion.

"Luke," our attention snapped forward as my name popped on their conversation again. I growled lowly, the door rattling in its frame, capturing everyone's attention.

"I think it's time you started speaking to us directly," Ana's words were cold and I could see the apprehensive looks on their faces. The day of the fight had changed Anastasia and I, they could feel it, they could see it but they did not know how to deal with it. My father's wolf was on edge, uncomfortable with the new power my wolf possessed.

The doctor cleared his throat and faced us, "Well Mr Blackwell, the good news is that your body seems to be healing nicely, you too Ms Ashworth. I figure you two being so close is accelerating your healing. Bad news is that you'll be here until the end of the month but the good news is, you'll be able to take the bandage off your eye."

My hand drifted to the injury, the bond only betraying my nervousness to Ana as I nodded. I zoned out a little but Ana was paying attention as the doctor talked. Soon, the room was quiet again as the doctor, nurses and my parents left.

"You don't need to be afraid," Ana murmured as she stood up and stretched, frowning in pain in her ankle.

"What if I can't see again?" I looked up at her, my mind racing with the implications of scenario on our future. Ana smiled and pushed some of my hair back before kissing my forehead.

"Well there's only one way to find out," she said matter-of-factly.

I grasped her wrist as she straightened, "Anastasia. Please."

Ana pursed her lips thinly before sitting in my lap as I wrapped my arms around her, my finger tracing circles on her thighs. I was scared, terrified but she was calm and her fingers were steady as they reached for the bandage. I closed my eyes as I felt the tape peeling away from skin. My breath was shaky as the fluorescent hospital lights were harsh, even behind my eyelids. I felt Ana pull something around my eyes, the ribbon that was in her hair earlier judging by the smell of her shampoo.

"Open them," she said quietly, "slowly, let yourself adjust."

I sighed and winced as the brightness assaulted my injured eye, Ana shushed me and held my hand as I regained my sense of sight. I could see the red of the ribbon and it irritated some parts of my skin. Ana was patient as I got readjusted.

"You can take it off," I murmured. I inhaled the perfume on Ana' wrist as she untied the ribbon.

I winced as I faced the full brunt of the light but my heart raced as Ana's face came into view. Her smile, oh Goddess her smile, lit up the room. I cupped her face and smiled with her. I could feel her trying to calm my thoughts as she looked at me. Her concern wracking through her body as she touched the tender skin beneath my eye.

A scratch, a scar, extended a couple inches below and above my eye. It would stay with me forever, a reminder of Kali but to me, it was more than that. It was testament of the day Anastasia put her life on the line for our packs; and the day I was ready to die for her and I would never let something like this happen again.

Your father is uneasy, she said, this was one conversation we could not have out loud. I think he knows.

I know, my fingers slipped under her top to trace patterns on her back. Things are going to change soon, the real question is how soon?

It depends, how involved do you want to be with the Ashworth move?

I growled lowly, You know I'll be with you every step of the way.

Ana smiled, It would be a couple of weeks before a full scale move is underway. Most of us are down and out for the count now. Rowan and some others went out to scout this morning.

I can send some others, I mused. I'll ask Bryan to sort that out. Seth will definitely help out as well. Would a group of twenty work?

Your alpha is showing, Ana commented with a chuckle. Every time I heard her laugh, it was a blessing as memories of nearly losing her were still on the forefront of my mind. It's very generous of you but I want you to focus on your recovery.

I smiled and kissed the top of her head as we got lost in our thoughts, our minds intertwining through the bond. We relived each other's fear, our pain, our worries, our relief. Within those quiet moments, we became one.

Never again.

Ana's eyes flickered to mine, brown to blue, both filled with a promise, a guarantee.

Never again.