Chapter 20

Luke's P.O.V.

We survived the shit storm.

Of course, in true Isabel fashion, she broke down crying in the girls' locker room and once the story was out, it spread through the school faster than a wildfire. Thankfully Ana wasn't in school a lot this week because of pack duties but when she was, people whispered about her. They whispered about me too but I knew Ana hated the attention so she and her friends had taken to eating outside while I brushed it off.

I ran my hand through my hair as I blocked out Asher's instructions for today. I could not wait for the chatter to die down so I could start gaining Anastasia's trust. It was high time I showed my mate the world.

I watched over my pack as they shifted and split up, following the Ashworth brother they were assigned to for the day. Today we were training in wolf form, it wasn't the first time but with Alpha Ashworth, Axel, Damien and Nyal missing it made everyone uneasy. I looked around for Ana, my stomach sinking and heart racing with worry when I could not find her. I felt twinges of pain in my body coming from the mate bond and I was very close to leaving Bryan in charge to go search for her.

What do we do Luke? Bryan stood in front of me in the sandy brown form of his wolf. I was aware that he and the unoccupied wolves were waiting for my command.

You, Jason and Seth do a warm up session, including Jason and Seth into the conversation. I'm going to look for Anastasia. I have a feeling wherever she is; they are. 

My friends nodded their wolfy heads before commanding the attention of the rest of the pack. I made sure they were occupied before stalking off in the direction of Ana's scent.

I frowned as Ana's, her father's and her brothers' scents got stronger but two things made my wolf snarl; the metallic tang accompanying Ana's scent and the scent of my father.

I didn't need to go far to find them, they appeared right on the edge of the clearing. As I neared, I saw that Alpha Ashworth's face as hard as stone and he was doing everything in his power to suppress his wolf. Axel stood next to him, his eyes livid as he glared at my father.

"What's going on here?" I asked as Ana's scent got stronger.

Alpha Ashworth sighed, glaring in Dad's direction but he did not answer me. Dad cleared his throat as he glanced nervously between Alpha Ashworth and I. "Now son," he said, "I did this for everyone's safety."

The slightly nervous tone of his voice alerted me immediately and I switched to the defensive. "What are you talking about?" I said lowly. "What did you do?" Before anyone could answer me, there was a soft whimper. Alpha Ashworth stepped aside and I snarled loudly at the sight before me.

Even though I had seen her only once before, I knew the dark brown wolf in front of me was Ana. She was flanked by Damien's wolf and Nyal. My eyes widened and I growled loudly as my wolf came to the surface in full force when my eyes landed on it.

Nyal's gloved hand held a silver chain  attached to the silver collar around Anastasia's neck.