I Love You

"Those letters said everything, from the past year and half, even longer actually, that I've wanted to say to you." He says."And if you really want to know I'll tell you."

"I really want to know." I say again, trying to reassure him that I'm not going anywhere no matter what he says.

"I wrote to you almost everyday while I was there." He says, "And some of them I threw away, and others I kept, and that's basically what it was, was all the letters, and when I thought you read them and didn't answer me, or didn't feel the same way and that you didn't want to see me, I had to explain, and that's why I've been coming every night, to try and talk to you about the letter that you didn't actually read."

"So what was in the letter that you were so worried about?" I ask.

"Most of them were explain why I left, and how sorry I was that I couldn't tell you, how much I missed you." He says.

"El I really missed you too." I say honestly, "But I also get it, I get why you didn't call or didn't text, you couldn't."

"I should have figured out a way..." He says.

"No El, it could have gotten you killed." I say softly, "I'm just happy your back."

"You're wearing it." He says.

"Yeah..." I say looking down at the old marines sweatshirt. "You left it here the week before you left, and I know it's sounds dumb but for awhile when I'd wear it, I could feel at least for a little bit like a part of you was still here."

"I'm glad you kept it." He says with a soft smile. "I don't imagine Brian was too happy about you having it though."

"No he really hated it." I say with a small laugh.

"Then why'd you wear it?" He asks.

"Brian was just a distraction." I say, "There's just something about it that made me feel safe."

"Liv, I really just need you to know, that I wouldn't have left you without saying goodbye, hell I never would have left you."

"Elliot we weren't together, you didn't leave me." I say. "When are you coming back to work?"

"I've got a lot of stuff to get figured out." He says with a deep sigh.

"What do you mean?" I ask.

"I've gotta go talk to Cragen." He says.

"I'm sure Cragen would be happy to have you back." I say.

"Yeah, I was supposed to have my job waiting for me, but when I thought you didn't want to see me, I told him I didn't want it anymore." He says, "I didn't want to make you work next to me everyday, and make you hate your job if you didn't want to be around me anymore."

"He hasn't replaced you." I reassure him, "Maybe we'll get rid of the two new ones."

"The new ones?" He asks.

"Yeah, Amaro and Rollins." I say, "Not the brightest, those two."

"Who's your partner?" He asks.

"You." I say without hesitation. "You're my partner."

There's a slight smile on his face.

"I meant who's your temporary partner." He says.

"Amaro." I say rolling my eyes, "It's like having a puppy, that blindly follows you around, asking stupid questions, and flirting with you. It's like having a puppy that hits on you all the time."