Maybe We're Crazy

Elliot and I were in the car on the way to the courthouse.

We had just come from a jewelry store, getting Elliot a simple silver band, and mine a simple silver band with a diamond set in the middle.

We walked up the steps of the courthouse, both smiling, and holding each other's hands.

We walk into the judges chambers and he smiles at us.

"You are Ms. Benson and Mr. Stabler?" he asks.

"That's us." Elliot says.

"Shall we get started?" He says.

"Yes." We say at the same time.

"Today we are here to join you in marriage and to share in the joy of this occasion which should be one of the most memorable and happy days of your life." He says, "On this day of your marriage, you stand somewhat apart from other human beings. You stand within the charmed circle of your love; and this is as it should be. But love is not meant to be the possession of two people alone. Rather it will serve as a source of common energy, as a form in which you find the strength to live your lives with courage. From this day onward you must come closer together than ever before, you must love one another in sickness and in health, for better and for worse, but at the same time, your love should give you the strength to stand apart, to seek out your unique destinies, to make your special contribution to the world which is always part of us and more than us. I will now ask you to repeat the marriage vows. Do you Elliot Stabler, take this woman, Olivia Benson, to be your lawfully wedded wife, to love, to honor and to cherish her, through sickness and in health, through times of happiness and travail, till death do you part?"

"I do." Elliot says, with tears in his eyes.

"Place the ring on her finger and repeat after me." The judge says. "With this ring, I thee wed, and forever pledge my devotion."

"With this ring, I thee wed, and forever pledge my devotion." Elliot says, as he slides the ring onto my finger.

"Do you, Olivia Benson, take this man, Elliot Stabler, to be your lawfully wedded husband, to love, honor, and cherish him through sickness and in health, through periods of tranquility and travail, until death do you part?" He says.

"I do." I say, a tear running down my face.

"Repeat after me." The judge says, "With this ring, I thee wed, and forever pledge my devotion."

I slip the ring into Elliot's finger, and say, "With this ring, I thee wed, and forever pledge my devotion."

"Please join hands." The judge says, "By the act of joining hands, you take to yourself the relation of husband and wife and solemnly promise to love, honor, comfort, and cherish each other,  so long as you both shall live. Therefore in accordance with New York State law and by virtue of the authority vested in me by the state of New York, I do pronounce you husband and wife, you may kiss the bride."

Elliot puts his hands on my hips and dips me back, kissing me softly.

"I love you." He whispers.

"I love you too, so much Elliot." I say smiling.

"Before you go," The judge says, "Here is your marriage license, and Ms. Benson, will you be changing your name?"

"I don't know, we didn't really talk about it..." I say, "What do you think El?"

"I think Olivia Stabler has a nice ring to it." He says.

The judge signs two documents, and hands then to us.