Trial Prep

I had been home for 3 weeks and I was finally feeling like I was myself again.  And a week after that I was back to work.

The stitches were taken out of my stomach and legs almost two weeks ago and my concussion is gone. The bruising on my stomach was mostly gone but it still hurt like a bitch. I had a lot of internal bleeding in my stomach and liver. I had to have a laparoscopic surgery to fix it, but the stitches from that were out too.

And Elliot, he took such good care of me. He was still much to over protective of me even though I have repeatedly told him that I'm fine.

Casey had come back with a list of charges that she wanted to talk over with us.

She, Alex, Arthur Branch the DA, and Donnelly would be prosecuting the case with Donnelly taking the lead.

The case was going to be Donnelly's because she was the one who signed the warrants but she had recused herself based on an "unfair bias towards the victim".

The only real reason she has recused herself was because she wanted to prosecute the case. I had never known Donnelly when she was a DA but looking over the old the case files and transcripts from cases she prosecuted 20 years ago, there's no doubt in my mind that she's the best lawyer I've ever come across. She had an 87% conviction rate.

Cragen has given us his office to use for this meeting.

Casey pulls out a piece of paper and hands it me.

Kidnapping, assault, assault with a deadly weapon, assault of a police officer, attempted murder, sexual assault, and unlawful abortion of a fetus. And these are just the ones for my case. He's also facing 5 counts of first degree murder.

"Everything for your case is going really well." She says softly, "We have more than enough to convict for every charge. Everything was completely above board in the investigation, with arrest, with the interrogation, everything. He'll be convicted, the only question now is how much time he'll get."

"Thanks, Casey." I say.

"I do need to warn you." She says, "Because we're charging him with unlawful abortion of a fetus, you're going to have to talk about the miscarriage, and what he said to you before he hit you, causing the miscarriage."

I take a shaky breath.

Elliot looks furious.

"If you don't want to talk about it we can take the charge off the list." Casey says

"No, leave it on." I say, nodding my head.

"Okay." She says. "Is there anything else you need?"

"You made sure it's a closed courtroom?" I ask. "I don't want the press there, no reporters. The story already hit the news, no pictures were released, and my name wasn't released but the last thing I need is reporters at the trial."

"It's a closed courtroom." She says, "But the press got ahold of the trial date. You're going to have to fight your way into the courthouse. People only know you as a detective. You'll be bombarded with questions but Elliot will be right next to you and all you have to say is that it's your case."

"Thanks, Casey." I say, "It means a lot."

"Of course." She says. "Donnelly's on the warpath. Morrow and his lawyers aren't going to be able to get away with anything."

We go over tons of questions that she's going to ask me. What she's going to ask Elliot, why she thinks the defense will ask me.

I nod my head and she gives me a reassuring smile. She leaves to go back and finish work for the case with Donnelly and Alex.
I look over at Elliot and see the anger written all over his face.

I run my fingers through the hair at the nape of his neck.

"Baby..." I say softly.

"I gotta get back to work." He says, standing up to leave.

"Elliot." I say angrily.

He turns around.

"Did we forget something?" He asks.

I cross my arms and he looks at me like he's waiting for something.

"Your gonna be there tomorrow, right?" I ask.

"Why would you even ask me that?" He asks angrily, "Where the hell else would I be?"

""You're not even able to listen to people talking about what happened let alone talk about it yourself." I say, "You fly off the fucking handle when anyone asks me any questions about it, and you haven't even acknowledged the fact that the trial starts tomorrow."

"Well excuse the shit out of me." He yells, "I'm sorry that I don't want to think about what happened to you when you got kidnapped."

"It's not like we can avoid talking about it for the rest of our lives." I say, "And you have to be  able to control yourself. If you go off like this in the courtroom we will lose the goddamn case all together."

"There's no reason we have to talk about any of it." He says, "At least not after the trial. This doesn't not have ruin our lives more than it already has!"

"What are you talking about?" I yell at him, "It didn't ruin our lives! I'm safe, I'm home! We can move on, this doesn't have to ruin anything if we don't let it."

"Olivia, we were going to have a baby!" He says angrily. "He beat you within an inch of your life and killed our child. Tell me how that didn't ruin our lives?"

"Elliot as much as that hurt me, as much as it hurt me to lose a baby," I say, "It didn't ruin our lives. We're still standing. Still alive. It didn't kill us, and it didn't ruin our lives."

He doesn't say anything.

"I want you there tomorrow, I want you sitting with me. I don't want to be in a room with him and I'll feel a hundred times better if you're there." I say honestly. "But I also know how angry it makes you to hear about it. If you can't be in there with me, I'll do my best to understand."

Elliot pulls me into a hug and I bury my face in his chest.

"Of course I'm gonna be there." He whispers. "I am going to support you in every way that I know how. I love you."

"I love you too." I whisper.

I'm glad he's going to be there. I am fully aware that I can take care of myself but, it feels good to know that he's going to be here.