Chapter Five

I pretended I had not heard Nick and walked over to the iPod. I turned the volume right up to drown out any further attempts to talk.

 I pulled my clothes on, then turned off the iPod before I walked to the door I peered out the door before opening it all the way. Nick had left, which was a relief. However I still had to take my wet underwear to the laundry.

I left the room and tiptoed down the hall and across the lounge floor to the laundry. However, my attempt at avoiding Nick was thwarted when he walked inside from the balcony.

“You shouldn’t be a filer” He said simply, as he walked in to the kitchen and opened the obscenely large black fridge. He took out two cokes and walked over to me.

“Huh?” I replied confused, was he firing me?

“You should be on my books. Booked talent, ready to sign” He explained walking over to his table. “You’re amazing. Literally” he finished sitting down.

My mouth hit the floor, and I could feel my eyebrows raising at his words.

“No” I said, without thinking.

“Why not?”

“Just No. I’m not a singer.” I replied, although I had to admit that the prospect of music as a job sounded amazing.

“I’ll politely disagree. You’re a singer. You’re an amazing singer Sarah” He exclaimed passionately

“Too bad, I’m not interested” The last thing I needed was eyes on me. My father couldn't know where I was.

Nick didn’t say anything else about putting me on the books, and we didn’t mention the morning, or the kisses either. Which was a relief.

Before I went to bed I dried my work clothes and lay them out on the desk chair in the room. I slept well. Better than I’d probably ever slept. It wasn’t because of the expensive furnishings though, I’m happy with subtle and humble, it was because for once in my life I actually felt safe.

Once I got up I dressed and done my hair and make up before leaving the bedroom. Nick was making what looked to be French toast.

“Morning Sarah” He said with a chirpy voice, turning from the oven he placed a plate of French toast and bacon in front of me where I sat at the breakfast bar.

“Morning” I replied “thanks for breakfast”

“No problems”

Without any more talking Nick finished cooking and then sat down beside me.

We ate in silence and when I finished I ran off to brush my teeth then came back to wash the dishes.

“You don’t have to do those” Nick said “I have a dishwasher”

“You’ve given me a place to stay, let me wash some measly plates!” I shot back with a chuckle. I reached in to the water and grabbed the next thing, only to be greeted by a searing pain in my hand.

“Agh!” I screamed, pulling my hand from the water, Hot water splashed on to my work shirt and blood spilled from the palm of my hand on to the sink and floor, luckily avoiding my clothing by an inch.

“Fuck. Sarah are you alright?” Nick shouted getting up from the breakfast bar. He ran in to the kitchen and grabbed a towel then  pressed it in to my hand

“There must have been a knife in the sink” I said feeling stupid, I should have checked.

“God, I am so sorry! I should’ve kept my dishes on the bench. Fuck. Take your shirt off” Nick ordered softly, Confused and in pain I looked up wondering why things had taken this kind of turn.