Chapter Thirty Eight

Sorry in advance, it isn't much!!

When I woke it was around 9am.

The events of the night before didn’t immediately come back to me, and for a short time the perfection I’d felt returned to me. Until I remembered that dreaded call.

Nick had been attacked because of me, and he’d forgotten who I was.

My stomach churned as I forced myself to sit up.

I didn’t know how I was going to get through the day, but I knew that I couldn’t skip going to the studio. Maybe the music would keep my mind of Nick, although knowingly singing the words he’d written would probably just kill me even more inside. I looked down at the bedside table and as tears began to well in my eyes. The folded up wad of paper sat there, unopened.

I couldn’t bring myself to read about the feelings Nick once had, not when I knew they’d changed because now he didn’t know who I was. I opened the draw and brushed the papers inside. They were better left unread and hidden.

I picked up my phone; the phone nick had given me and sighed. Everything was going to remind me of him today, which was almost amusing considering the circumstances.

There was a text from Dj

Nick called, said he’d been attacked. He didn’t mention you. Is everything okay?

Of course he didn’t mention me. I’d been wiped from his mind.

I replied to the text as I walked from the bedroom.

I’ll explain when I get in to the studio

I didn’t want to shower, I didn’t want to get dressed and I didn’t want to leave the apartment. I wanted to climb back in to bed and bury my head in my pillow.  I showered and dressed anyway and half-heartedly made myself a coffee. Although it went cold in its cup on the table because I just sat there staring at it.

I went downstairs to meet the car that was picking me up just before 10. Janie rung as I stood there waiting, but I didn’t pick up knowing she’d only hassle me about coming clean with Nick again. Finally just after 10.15 a black Bentley pulled up outside the apartment building. A driver hopped out.

“Sarah Roxy?” He questioned as he raised an eyebrow in my direction

I nodded as I fought the urge to go back upstairs, pack my things and run away. It had almost worked for me this time, until that fateful day where I’d lost my inhibitions and kissed a stranger in an elevator.

“This way please” He motioned to the back seat of the car. Somewhat reluctantly I walked over to the car and hopped in. It occurred to me afterward that I should probably be a little more cautious about getting in to cars with strangers. Luckily before I could fret too much when the man got back in to the driver’s seat he turned to face me and said

“Dj said to ask if you needed to stop for breakfast along the way”

“I’m fine, thank you” I mumbled, the idea of eating unsettled my stomach. A mixture of Nerves and my severely bruised heart had caused me to be ruined.

I ignored the outside world the entire car trip, only venturing out of my own thoughts to see if I’d received a message from Nick telling me that he’d remembered everything. Of course I hadn’t.