Chapter Thirty Nine

I’d seriously contemplated the drinking to oblivion option as I made my way home. I’d even thought of a way to get some poor sap to buy alcohol for me. But before I could execute my plan, my phone buzzed.

Hey, Janie filled me in. You okay? – Josh

I’m about ready to drink a bottle of something strong - Sarah

Sarah, don’t do that. How’s about I meet you at yours and we can watch a movie or something?

I sighed and eyed up the bottle store 20 metres ahead of me. Nick wouldn’t want this for me and as much as it hurt, I needed to try keep my life as normal as possible.

Sure, I’ll be home in 20 – Sarah

I caught a cab home from where I was and surprisingly, Josh was already there waiting as the cab pulled up. I paid the fare and hopped out of the car.

“You’re here already?”

“I was in the neighbourhood taking care of a few things. I brought the new Jennifer Lawrence movie over”

“Oh great lets head up stairs” I replied monotonously.

The door man opened the door for Josh and I, we walked inside the lobby and over to the elevators. I swiped my key card and the elevators popped open.

“Nick will remember you Sarah” He mumbled “you’re kind of a hard person to forget”

“Its better he doesn’t know who I am. I almost cost him his life”

“You? How?” Josh said, is voice warping to a higher pitch as he spoke

“My father called yesterday morning, and then Nick his pummelled that night. Coincidence?”

“Your father is locked away in jail Sarah.”

“So? He might have contacts out here you know”

“Sarah… Please. Just entertain for a minute that Nick isn’t the picture of perfection you think he is. Maybe he’s done stuff in his life that’s pissed others off. Maybe this has nothing to do with you” he replied with a little more oomph than I’d assumed.

I looked up at Josh and cocked my head.

“Where did that come from?” I asked as the elevator stopped and the door opened

I turned away from Josh and walked toward my apartment door.

“I’m just saying, the guy is a millionaire, who probably got to where he is by stepping on a few people. You didn’t do anything to your father; he is just a piece of psychopathic shit.”

“You’re assuming an awful lot josh.”

“He pretended to be engaged to Amelia Ann for the sake of his company Sarah. Excuse me for thinking the guy might be a little ambitious”

Josh and I stood outside my apartment door. I fumbled with my keys; the conversation topic had confused me. Finally I found the right one and unlocked the door. We walked inside and I chucked the key card and keys on the bench

“I’m going to go change. Put the movie on” I forced a smile on to my face as I looked over at Josh and began walking down the hallway.