Chapter Twenty

When I woke the next morning the events of the night before came flooding back like a rough tide on a stormy day. I’d been with Nick; we’d admitted mutual feelings, regardless of the insanity of it all.

Then it all came crashing down on top of us.

What had happened at his apartment had been all kinds of wrong and right mixed together, and it never should have happened. We agreed on that.

So where had the 180 degree turn come from?

Why had the guy who’d been some kind of attempted modern day hero suddenly decide that being friends wasn’t a possibility?

I picked my phone up from the night stand almost hoping for a text, but there was absolutely nothing there. I felt a little like a sad desperate girl who lives on the beck and call of some rich man who snaps his fingers and has me come running when he wants.

I sighed and kicked the covers off, if nothing else, my bed could feel the wrath of my confusion and frustration, although beating up my bedding was highly unlikely to satisfy the simmering feelings that were slowly working themselves up to a boil.

I sat up and rubbed my face, thank god I’d been tired when I’d crawled in to bed, falling asleep after last night would have been impossible without a degree of exhaustion involved. It was just a pity that amongst all the drama I still felt like death warmed up.

I stood up and the room spun a little, I composed myself and walked out of the bedroom and down the hall to the kitchen to ingest some coffee in the hopes of waking myself up.

“You look awful!!” Janie exclaimed as I stumbled toward the kitchen bench

“Thanks” I croaked

“You’re sick! You can’t go to work like that” Janie exclaimed, pressing her hand to my forehead “Yip, definite slight fever there, Call Julie and let her know.”

“I’m fine, honestly. I need the money anyway” I replied filling a mug with filter coffee

“Sarah, come on. You’re my friend; I’m not going to leave you homeless of hungry. Take the day off. You need to rest.”

“Ugh” I groaned sitting down at the table. My head was thumping now, and the idea of going back to bed was insanely appetising.

“I’ll call Nick!!” Janie teased, unaware of last night’s events. I scoffed, like he’d care if I quit altogether after last night. He’d washed his hands of me and while I was keen to find out why, I also knew staying away from him was the best thing.

“Fine, I will stay home, I don’t have her number though” I whispered

“Just call the office and ask to be put through, she’ll be there”

I nodded and stood back up. I picked my coffee mug up off the table and walked back to the bench and poured it down the drain. I dragged my feet back down to my bedroom and picked up the phone. I dialled the number of Booked Out and when a rep answered I had the call patched through to Julie.

All would have been good and well if Julie had been there herself.

Unfortunately, for no other reason than just to rip my undies, Nick answered.