Chapter Thirty Four - Part Two

A few hours later, the sunlight began to peek through a small gap in the curtains, gently rousing me from my sleep. I opened my eyes, and pawed for my phone. It was 11am.

I couldn’t hear Nick breathing, nor could I feel his body against mine. He’d left me to sleep, while he continued to do the activities he’d planned with everyone. I snuggled in to the blankets again, and sleepily pulled the sheet up over my shoulders.

Just as I began to drift off to sleep, the room’s phone began ringing. The obnoxious sound instantly woke me from my drowsiness and whilst feeling somewhat clumsy I fumbled for the phone.

I picked up the handset and put it to my ear

“Urgh”

“Sarah, its Dj.”

“Morning” I replied

“So, I was looking online this morning, and I browsed over something highly interesting”

“Dj, come on, we are on holiday, put the computer away” I laughed

“Usually I would, but well, It’s something I do when I’m beginning to promote a new artist, I google them every day”

“Stalker”

Dj sighed, and I held back a laugh. It was obvious he was itching to say something and I just wasn’t letting him.

“You’re on You tube” He finally said, loudly and exasperated.

“Huh?”

“Someone was recording you, and they uploaded your set to YouTube. As of this morning your video had over 20,000 views.”

“Why?” I proclaimed.

“Because you’re very talented. Look I’ve spoken with the executives this morning; we’ve all agreed that pending your studio recordings, we’d like to work on releasing a single straight away.

“But what about seclusion?”

“You’ll grow as you go.”

“Okay” I replied, as the nerves began to bubble in my stomach

“I’ll email you a link to the video, take a look later on okay”

“Sure”

“Alright well, I promise no more surprise gigs this week so you can enjoy the holiday”

“Thanks Dj, for everything” I exclaimed “Seeya”
“By Sarah”

I hung up the phone and laughed.

YouTube? Me!

My lack of confidence made it hard to understand why anyone would find me even remotely interesting.  Even with numerous big wigs ‘in the business’ people telling me I was good, I just couldn’t allow myself to believe it, just in case all my hopes were suddenly ripped away from me.

I couldn’t stop thinking how it would feel to have someone tell me it was all a joke.

I knew my lack of confidence stemmed from everything my father had put me through, his words; his brainwashing had filtered me in to believing I wasn’t worth very much as a person. I’d tried to minimise the residual emotions weeping from the scars my father had left. Mostly because I was deathly afraid of tearing open those scars and exposing myself to a confrontation of my past I wasn’t ready to deal with.