Chapter Thirty

“Nick” my voice bounced around the empty apartment, and I received no reply. I didn’t want to believe that he’d up and left last night, but it really seemed like that was what had happened.

Feeling glum I dragged my feet across the floor, and made my way back to the bedroom.

I grabbed fresh underwear, jeans and a T-shirt then walked in to the bathroom. I stood in the shower for far too long, allowing my fingers to become prune like and wrinkled. Some part of me had hoped Nick would return, and join me, so I just kept waiting. After at least 20 minutes I gave up and turned the water off. I dried and dressed myself, then walked out.

I looked over at the unmade bed and frowned, the memory of last night was etched in my head and no matter how hard I tried, looking over at the bed all I could see was us, entangled in each other. How could I have been so dumb?

A small white square on the bedside table caught my eye. I hadn’t noticed it before. Cautiously I walked across the soft carpet, and around the bed to the where Nick had fallen next to me after we’d…. I closed my eyes and took a deep breath.

I sat down on the edge of the bed, and opened my eyes. In front of me sat a folded up piece of paper, a note. My fingers grasped the note and gently I opened it.

Sarah,

I had an early start at work. I’m sorry I had to leave… I didn’t want to.

I’ll be back ASAP.

Love Nick.

I sighed with immense relief and held the note to my chest. It was Tuesday. Of course he had work, and next week he was off to Hawaii, he’d have loose ends to tie up before he jetted out for a week. I placed the note back down and let a smile creep on to my face. I let the memories of last night re-infiltrate my head as I lay back down on the bed. I was drifting back off to sleep when my phone rung, drowsily I opened my eyes, and threw my hand to the side, as I searched blindly for the source of the obnoxious sounding ring tone. When I found It, I glanced at the screen. It was DJ.

“Hello DJ” I murmured yawning

“Hello Sarah. I’ve just had a call from Nick” He replied, sounding a little cross

“OH?” I remarked, suddenly waking up. Why had Nick called him?

“He said that he promised you a trip to Hawaii as his filer and that I should allow you to go”

“It’s fine, I have plenty of time for Hawaii, and we’ve got plans for next week. I understand” I replied assuring DJ I knew where my obligations lay. Bloody Nick, He’d been serious when he said he was going to ask DJ alright.

“I’ve re-jigged our recording time, for the week after. Nick offered to fly me over too. I’d have to be a complete dunce to turn down a free trip to Hawaii” DJ laughed. I let myself relax, so his serious cross sounding voice had been a façade.

“But the seclusion thing?”

“I told you, the seclusion thing is about keeping your talent under wraps… Not you. Besides, if it was going to be full seclusion, I think Nick may have had a small problem with that” DJ added, teasing me. My skin blushed, and I was glad no one was around to see it. DJ clearly knew that Nick and I had something going on.