Chapter Eight

When I got to the café I ordered a coffee and sat down with the others. I was far to nervy to even attempt to eat. I made small talk over lunch so I didn’t come arouse any more suspicion than I already had with Janie. As our lunch break drew to a close though I realised my attempts were futile when Janie let the boys walk ahead of us.

“So. I saw your face before. You like Nick.” She replied as if it was nothing, as if it was a perfectly easy thing to admit.

I knew it was true, and even though it had only been two days since I’d met the guy, something inside of me told me I felt even more than a simple adoration. Still the fact remained, that while being in his arms had been amazing, he didn’t love me, he wasn’t engaged to me.

“It’s not a big deal. People have crushes all the time” I replied “Besides he’s engaged and happy.”

“So you need to distract yourself. You’re young and beautiful. Don’t let yourself get hung up on the first guy you like here in LA. Shop around!” Janie exclaimed, her voice was bouncy and bubbly

“I think I may just do that” I replied, hoping distraction would be effective.

When I was back at my desk, processing the letters my email bleeped.

From: 47ak47@Gmail.com

To: SJenkins@bookedout.com

Subject: Hello.

Hello Daughter,

I bet you didn’t think I’d find you huh. Well seems you forgot to change some forwarding details. You need to return home. Or I’ll have to come and get you.

My blood ran cold and I got up and ran through the corridors for the ladies bathroom. I was so distracted and shocked that I jetted straight past a returning from lunch Nick. I burst through the bathroom door and vomited. I flushed the door and slid down the toilet cubicle wall. How could I have been so thick?

Tears fell thick and fast down my cheeks, ruining what little makeup I’d applied that morning. Not that I cared. I’d have to move on now. I couldn’t risk him finding me.

Taking every bit of strength I had, I stood up walked out to the basins and washed my face. He only knew where I worked. Not where I lived. I’d simply have to quit. I grabbed a few paper towels and dried my face off then walked out of the bathroom. Luckily everyone had returned to work, so my breakdown was unnoticed. When I got back to my desk I noticed I had another new email.

I didn’t want to open it, afraid that if I opened my inbox my fathers email address would be staring back at me. I began working, pushing everything else to the back of my mind. Unfortunately I was interrupted by the phone ringing. I picked it up and held the handset to my head
“Sarah Jenkins, How may I help?” I said, trying to hide the evidence of my shock and dismay

“Sarah, It’s Nick. I sent you an email but you didn’t reply” Nick voice rang down the receiver, he sounded worried

“Oh, sorry. I must have missed it” I said opening my inbox.

The unread email was from Nick. Asking  if I was okay.

“Are you alright? You seemed a little frantic before”