Chapter Thirteen

Nick’s eyes searched mine for less than a second and then his lips were on mine. My head was a mix of thoughts, some telling me to push him away, end this pointless charade, end the possible heartache before it could happen. There were more thoughts about how good it felt, how warm his touch made me feel, how my body ached for him.

“Stop thinking” He mumbled through breathless kisses.

For a moment I did, I let myself get carried away in the moment and in that moment everything was perfect. Nick’s lips left mine, and trailed kisses down my neck, his hands slipped behind my back and began to edge my zip down.

Reality came crashing down on me when the phone rang suddenly. Josh, it would be josh checking I was home alright. I pulled my body from Nicks and walked into the kitchen. Flustered I picked up the phone.

“Hello”

“It’s Josh, you’re home alright?”

“Yeah. Thanks”

“Well my dad is in theatre right now, I probably won’t be back until the morning, I better let Nick know I won’t be at work”

“I can do that” I said looking over at Nick, who had one hand ruffling his hair. “I hope your dad is okay”

“Thanks. See you tomorrow”

“Bye”

I hung up the phone, Josh wasn’t going to be back anytime soon. Nick and I could swing from the rooftops having crazy monkey sex if we wanted to.

But I didn’t want to. I didn’t want to be the other woman.

“Josh won’t be at work tomorrow” I whispered, I stayed In the kitchen, away from him.

“Then we have the place to ourselves” Nick said, walking toward me

“Wait. We can’t do this. I don’t want to be anyone’s second choice, or mistress.” I exclaimed, holding my hand out, praying I had Carrie like telekinetic powers that could force him to stay back.

Nick stopped walking

“You’re not my second choice.” He whispered “If you were I would have left the restaurant when Amelia did. The truth is, until you walked into my life, I didn’t know I could feel like this… about anyone”

I was stunned, literally to silence. I wanted to speak but my brain wasn’t connecting with my mouth.

When I didn’t respond nick nodded and turned back for the front door.

“Feel like what?” I managed to call out, my words stumbling over my tongue which suddenly seemed too large for my mouth.

Nick stopped, but this time he didn’t turn back around

“Happy” he replied “a delirious happy. The kind of happy that leaves you knowing the world has some good in it. The kind of happy I haven’t been in a long long time.”

I smiled, and walked across the room to Nick, I slid my hand into his and he turned to face me. I knew what he meant, about being happy. And when I was with him, I was happy. I was someone I’d never known myself to be.

Nick kissed me again, this time with a little more force, his strong hands moved to my hips and pulled me in to him tightly

“I meant what I said” gasping for air “I don’t want to be a mistress”