Chapter Twenty Nine

“I can’t believe I miss out on Hawaii” I grumbled down the phone line.

“When I first told you about it, you acted like I’d spat in your lunch Sarah.” Nick Laughed heartily.

He was right; I had acted obnoxiously, running off like a spoilt brat. I’d been angry about how hard he was making it for me to forget about whatever it was that we’d shared. I frowned, thankful that from his vantage point he couldn’t see the sadness on my face.

We’d spoke every night at 9pm for a week; it had become something of a tradition. We’d walk out on to the balcony, facing each other and I’d give him the same awkward wave I had the first night I’d moved here. We avoided us as a topic completely and spent hours each night talking about anything and everything that drifted in to our minds. This was the first time we’d even come close to talking about that week, the one where my entire life changed completely.

“Sorry, I shouldn’t have said that” Nick replied, his voice hurried, he sounded concerned.

“It’s the truth Nick, don’t be sorry”

“I could talk to DJ about you coming to Hawaii” Nick replied with a soft chuckle

I smiled, and let myself dream that it could happen. It couldn’t though, Dj had booked me in to the studio every day the entire week they would be gone.

“You’re a little bit silly Nick” I murmured.

“I’m being a little serious. You deserve an exotic tropical vacation”

“I’m in seclusion remember, I don’t think taking exotic tropical vacations are in that part of the contract. Besides, Dj has me booked in the studio all next week”

“I don’t think it’ll be the same without you.” Nick replied

“I think you’ll survive Nick, its Hawaii.”

“Hmph” Nick grumbled sulkily

“I forgot to tell you, before I left to move in here I found your watch under my bed” I remarked, which instantly reminded me once again of the last time we’d made love. My skin flushed and I was thankful that from here Nick couldn’t see the colour my skin had gone.

“I wondered where that one was.”

“You could come and get it, I won’t bite”

“I might” Nick replied, his voice husky and I could tell he was not in any way, joking.

The hairs on my arms stood up, as my skin slowly became taken over by goose bumps. An involuntary heat began to grow in my stomach, and I knew if this conversation was to continue I would walk a tight rope the length of the distance between our apartments just to touch him.

“You shouldn’t say things you don’t mean Nick”

With that I watched Nick’s shadow leave the balcony. I head him close the door behind him.

“What are you doing?”

“I’m coming to get my watch.”

“Oh”

“I’ll see you in five Sarah”

Nick cut the call before I had a chance to answer, before I had a chance to reply. Not that I would have.  I missed his face. I missed the way the corners of his mouth curled into that cheeky smile I’d come to love.

I looked down at myself and ran for the bedroom. I looked like utter shit, a pair of torn sweatpants and a grubby singlet adorned my body, Which was Hardly the epitome of an alluring lover.