Oshade

Author: sunflowerwitch
Title:
Oshade
Link: https://www.wattpad.com/story/74299941-oshade

Oshade begins like a warm sunrise, the light slowly seeping into your eyes. You hear the Morning Song, gentle, serene, and hey, there's a giant deer! It leads you through a dark forest. You sense something's not right. And then boom! The deer's dead. Chaos ensues.

The book starts off with a weak rant on the afterlife, posing some philosophical questions, only to give us the answer in the next paragraph. I was concerned at first it would take a religious (Christian) stance, but extremely glad the author had a lot more imagination than that. There's plenty to absorb in the first chapter alone. Recently-deceased, Astra (an apt name for the character, I'd say) awakens in a world she didn't expect to be in. Through a series of events, she finds out she's in some sort of limbo between Heaven and Hell, and despite the seemingly harmless setting, the threat of danger is constant. Astra will have a purpose there, and it's up to her to figure out what that is. We're also introduced to another key character: a mysterious woman who has seen it all and serves as Astra's mentor. And finally, we get a glimpse of the evil that will create problems for our protagonist.

The first chapter was very well written and has a good pace to it. The characters were presently fluidly and have a mystery to them. It's light on info dumps, which I'm grateful for. There's even a bit of action added in! It ends with a revelation that piques our interest and makes us want to read more. However, I felt it was lacking in emotion and feeling. It didn't stimulate my senses. I believe the story would benefit greatly from more use of metaphors to describe the setting, events, and world concepts the author is trying to explain.

It'll be interesting to see whether the story will take us back and forth between the different worlds, maybe via flashbacks. The constant references to the living world makes me think Astra is not actually dead. All in all, a good start to a promising story. Go check it out!