The City of Thieves and Shadows

Author: Sejoym
Title: The City of Thieves and Shadows
Link: https://www.wattpad.com/story/68132877-the-city-of-thieves-and-shadows

The City of Thieves and Shadows begins with a rather weak Prologue that attempts to introduce two mysterious characters and hint at a future event in the story. There's no action, no sense of urgency. Just two little kids sneaking into people's homes trying to be Robin Hood. Nobody dies. No big surprise. Nothing happens. It did nothing for me and if I didn't have to do a book review, I would've stopped reading right there. Alas, the torture continues.

In the next two chapters, we meet Aaron Quinn, a tough kid from the slums with a gripe with the haughty folks of the more affluent neighborhood: the Eastern Division. Right off the bat, we get to hear all about his strong opinions towards the rich and wealthy, supposedly because the rest of the city are being exploited by them. In trying to vilify them for their riches, Aaron's character comes off as unreasonably bitter. Just because someone has more money than you doesn't automatically make them "filth". Did they tear homes from families? Steal to get ahead? Kill for their riches? What evil deed did they do to Aaron and his family? None of that was mentioned, so I'm left wondering, why the hate? The book's description hints at a calamity that will befall Aaron and drive him over the edge and seek revenge. If this is the entire premise of the story, the author will have to paint a more villainous picture of the Eastern Division and its residents to make it believable and interesting.

Despite the shortcomings, I have a really good feeling about The City of Thieves and Shadows. The author redeems herself with her amazing talent in crafting vivid descriptions and creating powerful imagery. The words practically leaped off the screen and caressed my face with the scents and odors of the city of Kipton, where the story takes place. It wasn't overboard to the point of being stifling, but just enough to engage your senses and immerse in the story world. One thing that can be improved is a better distinction of the four divisions in Kipton. Are they separated by walls? Do they have different rules and politics? What is the relationship between each? I suspect we'll find out more about that soon.

The characters are also strong. We learn a bit about Aaron's situation and get to understand why he's grown up to be such a tough and passionate kid. He's rational, introspective, and shows a lot of self-control, which I suspect will be continually tested throughout the story. Baron Flinigan, "the most prominent businessman in all of Kipton", is a well-crafted villain whose tense exchange with Aaron promises to develop into something more sinister. Aaron had better watch his back!

Finally, one danger I see is the author making the story too black and white, good vs. evil, rich vs. poor. If the author can craft a complex relationship between the city's divisions and residents, The City of Thieves and Shadows will be a definite treat for readers.