Apocalypse's Horsemen [7]

Chapter Seven

It took us much longer to return to warmer climates. Our extended stay in the frozen city meant that we had missed our plane. Instead we were forced to explain to the researchers why their extremely expensive machinery no longer purred like a kitten and instead grumbled and choked like the poor thing was on its death bed. The double hagglund had crawled to the research base with dents and scrapes marking every surface. Only a fallen angel could crash a bloody vehicle into the only wall of ice for miles.

Flopping back onto the sofa, I checked my phone for the tenth time. I was learning more and more as the minutes went on that I was definitely not a patient woman. Then again waiting for Lucius was constantly becoming a bad habit. He had the worst timekeeping skills. But he was the ruler of the underworld and obviously being the big man in the fiery pits meant that the world revolved around him and his schedule. It wouldn’t have been an issue but the man was three hours late.

“Cass, just eat the last wrap. Lucius can moan all he likes.” I stated, waving my hand at the plate sat alone on top of Lucius' overly pricey desk. “If he had been on time, he could have had the sweet chilli chicken. Now he can just go without.”

Castiel didn’t need any extra prodding. With a huge grin on his normally expressionless face , he scooped up the last delicacy before striding across the room and taking a seat at Lucius’ desk, even going so far as to put his feet up as he ravenously worked his way through Lucius’ snack. I shrugged my shoulders and turned my gaze out towards the city.

“Do you know where he is?”

I didn’t take my eyes off of the London skyline which had finally stopped smouldering and now looked like it was finally ready to begin again. I could even see the glint of the weak sunlight reflecting off of the cars below. They were no more than tiny specs but they were a source of hope, provided death didn’t strike a blow and bring about total destruction and chaos. There were only so many times that the world could recover from the attempted apocalypses before they were successful.

“He was meeting with Hades. Apparently Hades has found himself a new girlfriend so he’s taking her to meet the family so to speak.” I murmured absently.

The skyline which had been relatively clear with a few spots of white fluffy clouds dotted here only a few minutes before had become dark and murky. A storm was brewing and quickly.  

Drawing my cardigan closer to my body, I shivered. Nothing good would come of this situation and no doubt the casualty list would only increase as time went by.

“Hades has a girlfriend? How on earth did he manage that?” One of the power twins remarked before grunting.

Glancing over my shoulder, I rolled my eyes as I caught the play by play as the two heavily muscled men launched at each other from opposite sides of Lucius’s office  and fell to the floor in a playful scuffle. Bruises and cut immediately formed on their faces but neither seemed particularly bothered by the painful looking injuries. Then again they had fought in angelic battled that would put this little fist fight to shame and had lived to tell the tale.

I shook my head.

It was so easy to get distracted – somehow it was easier than facing the truth of the matter. That people were going to die whether I took action or stood on the side lines. The only difference would be the number. 

“And what is going on here?! “

I jolted at the intrusion of Lucius’ loud booming voice. As imposing as ever in his power suit, the tie loosened now that there were no prying eyes, the man simply leant against the doorframe with a smile on his face.