Apocalypse's Horsemen [21]

Chapter 21

Our arrival back in the underworld was nothing short of a fan fare.

Lucius and Hades were both rulers in their own right within the underworld and both beloved by their people. I found it remarkable the devotion and respect their subjects paid to them. Of course with any population there were the few that were opposed to being ruled but the majority took the sudden appearance of the Lords of the Underworld as a joyous occasion. They swarmed forwards from every direction, spilling out of shops and homes to pay tribute to them. Several screamed their names. I even heard one or two calling out my own name.

Coming from the hotel with the horseman to this was almost too much for my frayed nerves. I twitched and forced down the instincts within me that wanted to brandish my sword at the overzealous woman who was throwing confetti at us even as she stretched out her free hand to touch the Lords of the Underworld.

And their eyes fell upon Castiel. A loud scream of despair rang out over the crowd. A small scaled child gasped and clutched to her mother’s skirts as she watched the sorry sight of the broken angel being carried along by their liege.

A hush swept over the crowd quickly as the city stilled. The gravity of the situation drew each and every eye within the immediate vicinity. Even babies, whose cries had been renting the air only a few moments before, fell quiet as their rested within their mother’s arms.

“Call the healer.” The murmur swept through the crowd, passed from person to person as they all waited with baited breath.

Steps clicked against the cobbles of the square as a lone figure stepped forwards. She appeared to be a young woman, with youthful skin and an almost childlike body but looks could be deceiving. She commanded attention as she approached us, ignoring my twitchy hand as she bowed her head at the two men in respect.

Now she was closer to us, I noted that her hair was tied back in an efficient bun, her clothes plain and demure. Everything was understated. It was her ruby red eyes which drew my attention to this seemingly unremarkable woman. I felt guilt at even placing her in that category but it was true. Everything about her was understated, made to blend into the scenery. To not be noticed. And yet she exuded power and authority, kept in check behind the costumes.

Her gaze moved to mine as if she felt the weight of my stare. She looked directly at me for barely a second before she ducked and her cheeks flushed red enough to match her eyes. I glanced at Lucius and raised a brow in question. He just shook his head in response.

Castiel chose that moment to rouse. His head lolled to the side and a shuddery breath hissed past his split lips. The healer snapped into action, her blushes forgotten as her entire being became focused upon the broken angel. Her eyes moved over the bruises and cuts on Castiel’s face, a wince and shudder running through her with each caress like she could feel every blow and cut that had been made on Castiel’s body.

With a cluck of her tongue, she waved her hands through the air. Within moments two burly men stepped from the gathered crowd with a wooden pallet stretched between them. Castiel was laid upon the pallet with great care, the healer being mindful of the wounds as her strong and capable hands directed Lucius’s movements. The woman did not spare us  another glance as she lead the two men from town square towards a small building between what appeared to be a school and a church.

 I shook my head and stepped to follow but Lucius wrapped an arm around my waist and pulled me back into his body.

“You can’t follow. Aurelia can handle the work just fine. She is the best healer we have.” Hades murmured from beside me, his eyes following the sombre troop.