Apocalypse's Horsemen [34] Epilogue

Epilogue

Not even twenty four hours had been allowed to pass before we were summoned from our rooms.

Putting my feet into a comfy flat ballet pumps, I lifted my head to meet Lucius’ gaze. He smiled at me and I felt the brief warmth of his touch in my mind before he retreated behind his mask. We had danced around one another. There was much to be discussed between us but I still was not sure how we would even go about that. We had been destined for one another. It made both of us reluctant to follow that path, to step onto the stones that had been laid out before us.

“Are you ready for this?”

He shook his head and rubbed at his blood shot eyes. It was clear to see that he was not at his best yet. He had not slept. He tried to say that he was not tired but I knew that he feared falling back into the healing angel sleep.

As he stepped in beside me, I twined my fingers with his in a silent offer of comfort. He squeezed my fingers but did not take them away. We made our way through the palace with our heads held high. Members of the staff stood along the walls and bowed their heads in respect as Lucius and I passed. I knew that they weren’t really bowing at me but it still felt strange to be next to a person that was revered so much.

Lucius gave no outward sign that he had noted the gesture of respect other than a small twitch of his fingers. In his black designer cut suit and red shirt, he was a sight to behold. He certainly captured my attention. He had a way of making me feel severely underdressed next to him.

We arrived at the throne room to hoard of angels, demons, gods and demigods. Everyone had gathered together for this day. They parted before us, heads bowed in respect. I tried to loosen my grip from Lucius, to allow him to proceed on his own so that I could join the crowd but he shook his head.

“They are here for you too.” He murmured, his lips barely moving as he spoke.

We arrived at the  front. Hades was already sat pride of place in a throne of black crystal. Inside the crystal the first of the underworld burned. The crystal flickered and glowed with the inner fires. To his left was a new addition, a smaller black crystal throne. The space was filled by a small petite woman who was perched upon the very edge of the seat as if she may flee at any moment. Her skin was olive toned and dark black blue hair curled around her face in a crazy beautiful halo. Her eyes were extraordinary. They were jade green but as she stared up at me, I could swear that just for a moment when she met my gaze her eyes had become that of a cat.

Hades stretched down his hand and placed a hand on her cheek, so large in comparison to her small and fragile looking form. She was the complete opposite to Hades in every way. And yet, it was clear to see, that this woman had captured the eye of the God.

“Who is that?”

Lucius squeezed my hand as he led me to the thrones to the right.

“That is Hades wife-to-be.”

My mouth dropped open and I was sure that I would have been catching flies had Lucius not placed a finger under my chin and forcibly closed my trap.  

The throne to Hades’ right was made of white crystal and purple hellfire flicked within. Lucius stepped past this to a smaller white crystal throne and, before I could mutter a protest, deposited me in the strangely warm seat. He took his seat beside me and held out his hand to me. I gulped, looked out over the crowd and then back up at him.

This meant something. The knots in my stomach and the expectant look on his face told me that this was far more than just taking a seat. It was significant. With a tremor I placed my much smaller hand in his and tried not the feel the nerves flying around in my stomach.