Apocalypse's Horsemen [33]

Chapter 33

I felt deflated.

After all of the tension and drama that had played havoc with my life in the recent months, the absence of action made my life feel lacklustre. I was alone. Everyone was gone. Lucius and Castiel were underground. Zeke and Gabriel were on guard duty for the Horsemen and my son was with God. And I was at home… alone.

I glanced up at the clock on the cooker, my foot jigging while I gnawed on my finger nails. There were only a few hours to go. The Horsemen would soon be sealed away in the Minotaur’s maze and the world would be safe from their influence. It was a small victory but the damage had been done.

The events in Times Square had been televised worldwide. Our secret was well and truly out of the bag. There was no way that people could deny the existence of Angels and other things that go bump in the night. Sure there were a few that tried to say that it was a hoax – they wanted to cling on to the blissful ignorance that had ruled their lives thus far and were unwilling to let that go. I could sympathise. The step into the supernatural world was definitely not an easy one.

And the step into the public eye was even harder. My TV had quickly become disconnected from the wall. My face had been plastered over the internet, the evening news and every newspaper in print. My life story was written on the front page of the newspapers. I had been named. My human heritage had truly come back to bite me in the behind and now I had every paparazzi from here to LA lining up to get the first interview.

Whipping my fingers from my mouth, I threw myself from my stool. My feet beat a familiar pattern up and down the kitchen floor as I paced back and forth over and over again. I felt anxious and unsettled. War’s last words were playing on my mind and although nearly a week had passed I still kept jumping at shows expecting her next trick to come jumping out at me.

“Miss Savannah.”

I jumped and spun on my heel, my angel blade forming in my hand as I turned.

Hermes’ little face stared back at me with wide eyes. A dot of blood welled on his neck where the very tip of my blade was digging into his chin. It dripped onto the metal and rolled down the length of the blade. I blinked at the glowing drop and then met his wide eyes.

My sword clattered to the ground and I drew the childlike demigod into my arms.

“I am sorry Hermes, I did not mean it.”

Little arms wound around me, patting me on my back and offering me comfort.

“It’s okay.”

We held on to each other for a few more second before I pulled away. My hand instantly went to his throat, my fingers wiping away the dot of blood even as guilt churned in my stomach.

“I’m sorry Hermes.”

“It’s fine Miss Savannah.”

His little feet started to dance around on my floor, moving from side to side even as he tried to keep still.

“Do you have a message for me?”

His little eyes lit up as he nodded his head up and down over and over again.

“I do. I do. I do.”

I laughed.

“Are you going to tell me?”

“Yes!” He actually started jumping here.  His feet barely skimmed the floor before he was once more in the air, too hyped up to remain stationary for a single second.

 I was forced to place my hands on either side of his face to keep his attention from wandering elsewhere.

“What’s the new Hermes?” I asked softly, smiling as the childish giggle that escaped the demi=gods lips.