Apocalypse's Horsemen [29]

Chapter 29

I found myself unfocused once again. Nursing a mug of hot coffee, I stared across at Binah and tried not to smile.

She was perched uncomfortably on the edge of a stool, nursing her own drink. She was dressed in my clothes, a warm woolly jumped and a pair of jeans that looked better on her than they ever had on me.  She looked exhausted with the dark circles under her eyes and messy braided hair. Binah’s energy was running on low. The combination of saving me from a life of servitude to the constant bombardment of her visions meant the woman was barely capable of moving around the house let alone changing her form.

Breathing in deeply, I allowed myself to draw in the aroma of the coffee, allowing it to energise me.

“How are you feeling?” Binah asked, her weariness seeping into her own voice.

“I’m fine. Most of the pain is gone now.”

It had taken two days for me to have enough strength to drag my body out of the comfort and warmth of my bed. I knew that the others were dealing with damage control in London, that some of the angels had stayed behind to help out, so I allowed myself to relax. It was bliss.

“Have you had any more visions of your sister?” I asked, blowing over the top of my cup. I took a tentative sip, a sigh escaping my lips as the bitter liquid hit my tongue. “Perfection.”

The other woman’s lips twitched slightly before she looked down at the cup set before her, looking into the depths as if she could find the answer to all of her problems in the bottom of the cup.

“I had far too many. Her taint is everywhere at the moment though it appears that our best hope of finding her is New York. She could cause a lot of trouble there. I’m rather worried about Wall Street. It would be the perfect place to cause havoc.” She closed her eyes and breathed deeply. “It’s not in her thoughts yet. That is the small mercy. Unfortunately she has found other ways to incite rage and the momentum does not appear to be slowing.”

The knock on the front door startled me from my reverie. I placed my cup back on the table before leaving the kitchen. My warm furry slippers slapped against the floor as I moved, one hand wrapped protectively around my stomach.

On my front step were many familiar faces. There were too many. I frowned when I noted just how many people were here, at my house.

“Hi,” I started lamely, staring up at Clementine and the others. “I thought you were with the other Halflings?”

“Our father is looking after them.” She offered.

With a nod, I moved to the side and allowed the angels into my home. Gabriel and Ezekiel were at the tail of the group and I could not stop my heart from leaping at the sight of them. After two days with no contact with anyone other than Binah, not that she was bad company, but I was going a little crazy. They both passed me, their hands gripping my shoulder in an attempt to show comfort. I placed my hand over theirs and squeezed back.

Closing the door, I made my way back to the living room. There was barely room to move. The house was not designed to play host to a dozen fully grown people. It was stifling. I offered seats to some to free up some space but most chose to remain standing, their arms folded across their chests.

“So, why is everyone here?” I asked, my arms folded across my chest. “Not that I don’t want you all here but I was expecting a lot less of you to be here.”

“We’re here because we need to talk. You told Clementine you have information on the last of the Horsemen and we are your back up.” Gabriel spread his arms out, to include the others in the room. There were murmurs of assent while others merely nodded their heads.