Apocalypse's Horsemen [19]

Chapter Nineteen

Waiting was one of the hardest things to endure when you knew that people you cared for and loved were in peril. It made no difference to me that Lucius was the Devil, an angel that had fallen from heaven and now ruled the underworld with the Greek God Hades. He was my friend and he was a person I cared for, more than I would ever admit to him. He could have been dead at that very moment and I would have no idea.  I would not know for sure if he was dead or alive until someone had mercy on my frayed nerves and told me what had happened outside of the wall of this hotel suite.

But there was no talking. There were no updates.  The only thing that gave me hope in this situation was that my doppelganger was not gloating. He appeared to be sulking.  He had returned only a few minutes before with a scowl on his face. It was bizarre to see my own face twisted into that expression. It wasn’t much new but it was enough. Just enough to know that their plan hadn’t gone like they thought it would.

My lips pulled up into a smile before I could stop the grin from forming.

“And what do you find amusing bug?” My doppelgänger looked at me with pure hatred, her hands clenching into fists as she took a step towards me.  Even her lips was curled upwards in a feral snarl that made me want to run and hide.

I could do neither. So, I lifted my chin and met the Horseman’s terrifying stare.

“You.”

It was one word and yet it seemed to cut any ties to the Horseman’s control. I found myself pushed on to my back before I could draw a breath while the rabid version of me was clawing and snarling from above. Blows rained down on me from all sides, too fast for me to even stop them. In the position we were in, I could feel the beings superior strength despite the fact that the horseman was wearing my skin. They did not have the ordinary human weaknesses.

And yet that loss of control was enough.

“You don’t like it do you. You like to be lord and master in control of everything.” I moved my head to the side and talons came driving at my face. The very tips scraped across my cheeks drawing welts in the skin. “You’re one of the four Horsemen. People should revere you, fear you and obey you. But you have to bow down to your kin like the snivelling servant you are. You want to rule and you cannot even get me, a human to bow to your control.”

The horseman flinched with each blow to his ego and it fuelled the rage burning inside. I had never seen anything like it. Even a hellhound was child’s play in comparison to the burning energy welling within those eyes.  A knee pressed down on my chest making it difficult to breathe. Animal instinct tried to kick in but I met the gaze that was mine and yet so foreign. I smiled

“But the truth is,” I gasped the words out as I struggled to breath under the weight on my chest. “You are nothing.”

With a scream of fury, the horseman was off of me. I drew a greedy breath of air but I didn’t get much of a reprieve. The floor disappeared beneath me and before I knew what was even happening, I was sailing through the air.

Instincts honed by hours of training forced me to change the position of my arms and legs just so while my wings sprouted from my back and beat harshly to adjust my momentum. My body hit the wall with less force than the horseman anticipated but I still felt the impact in every single bone.

I dropped to my feet with far less grace that I had anticipated but it was better than landing head first. Pushing up, I flared my wings out in an impressive display while my attention went to my doppelgänger. Famine was too consumed by their overpowering emotions to notice that I hadn’t been rendered unconscious. The throne remained untouched but everything else in the room was subject to the blind fury.