Apocalypse's Horseman [24]

Chapter 24

The war cry to announce the start of the battle began quietly with just a single voice. I have no idea where it started. I just heard the first whisper as it was caught on the wind. Then, one by one, the other voices joined in. The battle cry got louder and louder until it was almost deafening. I opened my mouth and allowed my own voice to join in the primal sound, my blade held aloft as I remembered who I fought for and who I was fighting against.

There was no way to predict the outcome of this fight, only that I would fight with every ounce of energy I had until the Horsemen were captured or I was killed, whatever came first.

I beat my wings as hard as I could to propelling myself through the air with as much momentum as I could create. I tried to streamline my body, tucking arms close to my body as I barrelled towards the Shard building.

The angels in the first wave had thrown large heaving objects at the reinforced glass with so much power that great sheets shattered loudly. I saw the entire scene unfold in slow motion, watching as the glass fell off of the building and down on to the city below. And then they were in.

More flashes of light came from overhead as another wave of meteors entered the atmosphere. One came so close that I actually felt the heat of it burning my skin as it whizzed past. It was not even the size of my fist but the power contained within that tiny piece of rock was immense.

The Angel flying directly behind me wasn’t so lucky. They were hit head on by the falling piece of rock and fell out of the sky so rapidly that there was nothing that any of us could do.

I didn’t watch his final descent. I couldn’t. I was still uncertain as to the full capabilities of an angel. Could they survive a fall like that? Or would their body break like that of a human after fall nearly 300 metres to the hard and unforgiving streets of London.

I shuddered and put on an extra burst of speed, tucking my wings in tight as I approached the upcoming building to avoid the jagged edge to the glass as I soared through the window.  My feet hit hard. I stumbled forward a few steps, stopping just a few scant inches from another Angel. I straightened up only to be rammed in the back and forced forward by the next Angel through the window.

With haste, I moved away from the disgruntled angel and withdrew my sword. We had entered the building near the top but there were still several floors between us and the very pinnacle of the building. Quickly the others in the room moved into formation, no words spoken as they took their place and headed for the quickest route upwards. I followed their lead.

The place was relatively empty, like a function room, waiting to be filled. We moved up through the building quickly, making no attempt to be quiet. They knew we were coming so there was little point in trying for stealth.

The Horsemen did not appear content on waiting either. I felt myself forced backwards as Angels scattered, thrust out of the way as if struck by a battering ram. I managed to keep my footing and found myself mere feet away from Famine. I would recognise that crazed look anywhere. My mouth felt dry so I forced myself to gulp past it.

He was bare-chested and about twice the size of a normal man. He stood at about 7ft tall in this incarnation, his feet were shoeless and shifting restlessly as the Horseman stared down the Angels with a deadly leer. It was fortunate that they were unaffected by the Horseman’s gifts or we might have been in trouble.

He threw back his head and roared, the terrible sound grating on my ears. With a wince, I called wrapped my hands around the hilt of my blade and took a step forward.

The movement drew his attention. The slavery inhuman beast turned his beady eyes on me and licked his lips. He lifted one meaty paw in my direction and pointed a condemning finger.