Chapter 14

Chapter 14

Louis sighed deeply as the ATM machine refused to process his card. "Well maybe we can bail him out with a check," he figured, still staring at the machine, though his words were directed to the boys on either of his sides. Niall was too lost in thought to notice the figure behind him.

Suddenly, Van Pelt snagged the game out of Niall's arms from behind. The boys, all, jumped back in surprise and fear. The hunter began to speak but was interrupted by a large crowd of people, screaming and running for their lives. The crowd separated Van Pelt from the boys, though neither of them tried to flee. Zayn began weaving through the people to get to the man, then grabbed the game from his hands and ran.

So focused on getting rid of Van Pelt, Zayn didn't notice that he was running into the street. A car slammed its breaks right in front of him, but the driver hopped out of his seat, and ran like everybody else. Zayn wondered why everyone was acting so chaotic, but as he turned around, he understood. The stampede from earlier was making its way through the town, stopping for no one. Zayn began to flee again, and spotted a woman escaping from her car, though she left it running.

Zayn made a split decision and jumped into the driver's seat. He looked wearily at the controls, until a scream made his head shoot up. The car that had stopped in front if him earlier was T-boned by a hurdling rhino, then smashed by the following animals. Zayn only had time to spare a glance at an elephant's feet before he ducked into the backseat and laid as flat as he could.

The elephant's weight began crunching the car down, bending the frame and shattering the windows. Zayn slid from the seat to the floor of the car, lying on top of the game, as more rhinos and elephants trampled over his shelter. But the more animals that ran, the more tight of a squeeze it was for Zayn. As the seats and roof began digging into his sides, he screamed in pain, calling out for Niall to help him.

Van Pelt began walking past the destroyed vehicles, searching for that quiff haired boy with the game. He heard muffled screams from inside one of the cars, and pulled the door open. Zayn, upon seeing the hunter, tried hiding the game from his view. Though, the hunter already spotted the game from underneath him and reached for it. Zayn held onto the game for dear life, but the hunter was stronger. With a grunted "Let go!", the game was free and Van Pelt strolled away into the nearest convenience store.

Zayn began screaming for help, again. Louis and Niall ran the same direction they saw Zayn running, wondering where he had gone. When Niall spotted the car, he screamed "Zayn!" Louis followed his gaze, and his eyes grew wide. The charged forward, and pulled Zayn out of the disfigured car.

~~~~~

After calming down Zayn, they headed inside the store, "Sir Save-A-Lot." People were frantically trying to stock up on anything they could get their hands on. The boys sneaked up the aisles, searching for Van Pelt and the game. Louis stopped, suddenly, halting the boys behind him. The game was sitting on top of a counter, unguarded. Louis began strolling, as unsuspicious as he could, towards the counter. But as soon as he made a quick grab for it, his wrists were in a death grip.

"Caught you," Van Pelt gritted out
through his clenched teeth.

~~~~~~~~

Quick chapter, sorry I haven't posted in forever! I'll try to post again, maybe, tomorrow? Hopefully!