chapter twelve

He stepped into the temporary bedroom I shared with Jennifer. She was still down at the beach, so I'm assuming Niall will leave once she comes back. So I followed him into the room and closed the door behind me. When I turned around, I saw him lying down upon my bed. It was big enough to fit us both, luckily, and I started walking over there.

"Lights."

"What?" I frowned, instantly stopping.

"Turn off the lights." He explained, crossing both of his arms under his head.

"Promise not to touch me?" I asked, looking at him.

"As long as you don't ask me to, I won't touch you." He assured me.

I walked back to the door and turned off the lights. The room went completely dark and when I headed towards the bed, I hit my toe against a table and cursed to myself, making Niall softly laugh at me. Then I carefully crawled into bed next to him.

For some reason my heart started racing in my chest. It's not like I haven't slept next to guys before, but it felt different this time.

Why am I so nervous?

I intertwined my fingers, placing them upon my stomach and stared up at the ceiling. My right arm was pressed against Niall's ribcage and he was looking straight up as well. At first we didn't even spoke. Just laid there in silence for a while. Then I decided to break the ice.

"You might push me off the bed for asking this, but can you tell me more about your mom?"

I was afraid he actually would push me off, but he didn't.

"What do you wanna know?" He calmly answered. "Since you already know she bailed on me as a kid, you might as well know the rest."

I turned my head towards him, pressing my cheek against the pillow.

"Do you know why she left?"

He shrugged.

"Parenthood isn't suited for everyone I guess. She wasn't that much involved in my childhood, like when I was growing up. It was like she brought me home from the hospital and then left my dad in charge. He and my brother taught me everything. My mother wasn't even around to hear my first words."

"That's so sad. Sounds like she never wanted kids in the first place."

"She probably didn't." Niall said, still staring up in at the ceiling. "But it's not like I miss her or anything. I mean I barely even remember her."

"It must have been tough for your dad, raising two kids all by himself." I said, taking in every inch of his appearance.

"It was. But I only got to spend thirteen years of my life with him."

"You haven't seen him since you moved here?"

He shook his head. "He past away the summer I turned thirteen. Car crash."

Oh my god

"So I moved in with my uncle who lives here. I had no other choice. My brother was old enough to stay in Ireland, and I thought I could live with him for a while. But my uncle Daniel was determined I'd move to America."

"I'm so sorry Niall, I had no idea." I mumbled.

He turned his head to me, with a small smile on his lips.

"Of course you didn't. Nobody knows that."

He's like an orphan

This is the reason why you should never judge the book by its cover. Unfortunately I had already judged Niall from what he looked like and by his actions. He looked like the typical bad boy, the football jock and the womanizer. Maybe he still is all of those things, but what people don't know about him is that his dad is dead and his mom is nowhere to be found.