chapter thirty-six

GUYS this is the last real chapter!!!! The next one will be a longer epilogue and I hope you'll like it. This is not a goodbye, I'll write a thank you-message after the epilogue. Besides, I do have other books as well. But yeah. The photo is one of the many manips I've done of Niall and Sam (you can find the other few I've posted on my pinterest) and as always, thank you for reading, voting, commenting and all the messages you send me. I love you x  

---

Niall's point of view

Sam was still unconscious when we got to the hospital. The nurse sent Maya and me to the waiting room and I watched them take Sam down a corridor and into a room.

"What even happened?" I asked as I sat down in the chair next to Maya's.

"She was upset and started to drink everything she could find. Then I tried to talk to her, and she got ever more upset and decided to go outside. That's when she tripped and fell down the stairs on the porch."

"Why was she upset?"

I leaned forward, resting my elbows on my knees and turned to look at her.

"Why do you think?" She rolled her eyes. "Didn't you two talk?"

"And now you're blaming me for Sam's accident. Shocker."

Maya was quiet for a moment before she spoke again.

"You should forgive her. I mean she obviously did this because you're angry with her. Just imagine what she'll do if you don't forgive her."

"Are you trying to make me feel bad?" I looked at her again. "How come I'm the bad guy here? This is all you, Maya."

"You still don't understand, do you?" She snorted. "How is this any different from all the times you've hurt a girl?"

"It's different because I love her. The girls I've been with, none of them were in love with me. I may have broken their hearts, but we never had a deep and meaningful relationship. So congrats, you won. I fell for her and I got my heart broken."

"And how the hell do you know none of those girls loved you?"

She gave me a glare. And that's when I realised.

"You... were in love with me?"

"Took you long enough. Why do you think I wanted to end our little deal? Because I knew that you'd never think of me that way. You'd never even consider going on a real date with me. So I ended things with you before you could break my heart. I broke my own heart instead, by letting you go. Every night I watched you take another girl up to your room. I watched you flirt with other girls, only days after I called off the deal. I realised that it wasn't bothering you as much as it was bothering me. You just moved on to the next girl, like you always do."

She looked away for a second, shaking her head to herself.

"And then, for some damn reason, you went around telling people you were the one ending things between us, because I wanted to get pregnant. Why the hell would I want to get pregnant in the middle of my studies? And why the hell did you tell people that, if you and I never meant a thing to you?"

"Because no one has ever backed out on me before. And considering what kind of reputation I have, I couldn't let people know you were the one to quit first."

Maya rolled her eyes.

"You are such an asshole. This is why you deserved to know what it felt being let down by someone you love."