Chapter 7

Frank was awake. He knew for sure now that he was AWAKE. And he was thanking the heavens for it, too, that the dream was over; that Gerard HADN'T followed him to the highway and camped out with him under a bridge kind of known for gang related activities.

    He sat up just to make sure, looking around him and seeing nothing and no one. Just his stuff and himself. How he liked it.

    "Ah, you're awake! Just in time, too..." Frank spun around and saw, of course, Gerard heading towards him holding two cups of scolding coffee. He was annoyed with Gerard, but damn, he WAS craving coffee.

    Gerard sat himself down on the ground next to Frank, smiling as he handed him one of the coffees. Frank, who was in too much shock to even move, just sat there and stared. His arms weren't quite working, even though he REALLY needed that cup of coffee.

    In response to Frank's shock, Gerard blinked and said, "It's black. You LIKE black coffee, right?"

    Frank nodded vigorously and finally accepted the cup in his hands, taking a large gulp from it. Without thinking, he said quietly, "Thank you." This made Gerard look up quickly and smile in satisfaction.

    "You are very welcome." He replied. He took a deep breath and started sifting through some of Frank's things. "Now, here's the plan; we're going to go home, pretend this never happened; I already called your mom and said you stayed over at my house last night. Oh, and here's your phone. I had to use it to call her. And—"

    "Wait, what?" Frank interrupted. Okay, NOW he was awake, and definitely in condition to fight back at Gerard's pushy ways. "What gave YOU the right to call my mom?!"

    "How about the fact that you ran away because of ME?" Gerard fired back, "And I was the one who drove you away. And if something had happened to you...." He didn't finish as he looked off into the distance shaking his head.

    Frank scoffed. "So you just came to clear your conscience, huh?" he said, "So you wouldn't get blamed for anything."

    "Shut up, Frank," Gerard said immediately, "You know, just because YOU'RE an ass, that doesn't mean everyone else is, too."

    Frank stood up, looking down at the now smaller boy. "I'm a WHAT?!"

    Gerard stood up too, taller as usual. "AN ASS!" he repeated, "Fuck, I come here to make sure you got home safe, without getting in trouble with your mom, without DYING, and all you have are complaints! Not to mention your little outburst after school yesterday."

    "Why do you insist on treating me like a fucking child?!" Frank yelled, "Like I need someone to make sure I made it to the bathroom okay or something?!"

    "Because if you can't run away, you'll try something else!" Gerard was almost screaming now, and his eyes were getting watery. Frank's face turned into concern for a second at the sight of tears in Gerard's eyes, these desperate tears rather than sad tears. But as soon as it came, it had left.

    "You're thinking about a last resort. Or you've thought about it before." Gerard continued quietly. "I know you have. But Frank..." he slowly got closer to Frank placing his hands lightly on his shoulders. "Please don't."

    Frank shook his head, looking down between them angrily. "You just think you know everything, don't you?" he snapped, quickly meeting his eyes again, "You just...DON'T, okay?!"

    "I know you need help! And not help from the fucking cops, mind you; help from someone who gives a shit." Gerard replied.

    Frank scoffed. "Like who?  My mom? The teachers? MY DAD?!" Suddenly he found himself beginning to tear up. What a pussy, he thought. "No one cares about the gay boy, Gerard; especially one who's been nothing but trouble and waste here."

    And then, quickly and simply, Gerard kissed him, shutting him up.

    He thought Frank would be still beneath his lips, or maybe just push him off and run, but he just wrapped his arms around him and kissed him back, savoring the moment and enjoying it. Gerard's hands rested on his neck, as if to say 'listen this time', because apparently, he hadn't listened too well last time.

    And Frank listened.

    They separated a moment later, and Frank saw that now Gerard was wearing tears.

    "I care about the gay boy," Gerard whispered. He swallowed and shook his head sadly. "Hell, I...I love the gay boy..."

    His voice trailed off as he turned around and started to leave Frank. His continued sobs were evident, as he could still hear him where he stood.

    "Wait!" Frank exclaimed, chasing after him.

    He pulled Gerard's shoulder back towards him so he would turn around and face him again. As soon as he was turned all the way back around, Frank leaned forward and kissed him once more. Now, this was their official third kiss. And it kept getting better each time.

    Because then Frank realized something very important. Gerard was different, as he guessed; as he KNEW. He realized WHY he was different thought; he realized why he was impossible to push away, and was always by his side; he realized why he hadn't given up on him yet, and no matter how hard he tried, he just couldn't escape him.

    It was because Frank loved him.

    And he loved Frank.

***

    Gerard looked back after a moment to see that Frank had started running away, faster than ever. Worry crept in, and he couldn't help but chase after him. He kept a good distance, though, careful not to get caught. Oh god, he thought; am I...stalking him?! No; he decided he was merely doing him a favor and looking after him. He couldn't live with himself if something happened.

    He watched Frank go inside his house, and now, he had calmed. He went home. Good. No harm done, then, he supposed...

    Until a minute later when he saw that Frank was carrying a duffel bag on his shoulder and running out again.

    FUCK.

    Gerard almost ran after him to make him stop, but stopped himself. He couldn't just stop him every time like that. He had to let him go, cool off, calm down a bit. Then he'd go find him, and he'd be there for comfort when he'd realized what he'd done. Because if Frank got in trouble for running away AGAIN, it was definitely juvie or something. He was surprised it hadn't happened yet...

    But Gerard waited too long. He lost Frank, and ended up running around the city for two hours. It was quickly getting dark already, which meant if he didn't start heading home soon, or find Frank, he'd be screwed. No, he had to go home NOW. He started to slowly hobble home finally when he passed a bridge.

    Or, really, the underside of a bridge. But that usually didn't interest him...

    Until he saw someone wrapped in blankets under it.

    Gerard cautiously approached the person, and sure enough, sound asleep already, was Frank. And god, all Gerard could think about was how cute he looked.

    But he didn't want to wake him up just so he could drag him home. No, he needed to sleep on it.

    But so did Gerard.

    So, Gerard lied down, beside Frank, blanketless, and went to sleep, because damn, he was TIRED.

    Tired, and so relieved.