Chapter 13

Gerard smiled at Frank as they both finally sat down, panting and covered in paint. It was done. It was finally done, and just in time, too. It looked wonderful; better than either of them had ever thought. Gerard was surprised at Frank's skill, and was immensely glad he called him. But of course, who else would he call?

    "We did it." Frank stated, leaning back against the wire fence just opposite of the containers.

    Gerard nodded and wiped his forehead with his arm, a long smear of black paint still there. "Yep. I couldn't have done it without you, Frank. Thanks."

    Frank smiled and shrugged. He'd decided to drop the whole Fun Ghoul and Jet Star thing. Maybe it was just no one? It seemed to be a very touchy subject, and one he must not throw around lightly. He knew when Gerard started bringing his brother into things, it was like a mine field. He had to learn THAT the hard way. He grimaced at the memory.

    "You think Becky's gonna like it?" Frank asked finally.

    Gerard nodded excitedly. "Oh man, she's gonna love it. At least I HOPE she does." He replied. He looked over at Frank and nudged his arm. "Wanna get some lunch after she drops by? She should be here any minute."

    Frank stopped for a second, meeting his eyes cautiously. Here's where it got weird; Gerard was still sticking to his side. It would have been normal if he maybe wanted to hang out every couple days, but now they were just spending the day together. And that...that was too close to what they'd done before. That wouldn't help Frank one bit, and that was the intention in all of this...right? He swallowed every fiber in his body screaming 'YES' to answer the question.

    "Oh, I, uh, I really shouldn't..." Frank finally answered, "My mom should be back today. She might get suspicious if I'm not even there when she comes home."

    Gerard understood immediately, and Frank knew it. He nodded and looked away. "Yeah...yeah, alright."

    "No, I mean...I really shouldn't, I—"

    "Frank, it's fine." Gerard interrupted, looking at him again. He paused. "It's fine." He repeated. He used a different tone, one that meant something entirely different than the first time he said it.

    Frank nodded wordlessly. Becky came around the corner then, ending the moment and putting it out of its misery. Frank breathed a sigh of relief as the two conversed about the piece. But that moment; that moment hurt a bit. It passed...

    But it actually hurt.

***

    Becky loved it. Of course she did. Frank was so proud. Gerard and Becky went out to lunch be themselves, and Frank escaped home, knowing he wouldn't be missed. He kept telling himself that Gerard wouldn't be missed when he went home, but that was only half true. And he hated it.

    Frank entered his home to see that his mother had indeed beat him home. But not just his mom; his mom and another dick she met at a bar and took home. They were sitting on the couch drinking wine, being loud and obnoxious, and just as Frank thought he'd escape...

    "Frank!" His mother called. Frank stopped in his tracks without turning around. "You were gone all weekend, I assume?"

    Now, Frank slowly turned to see the guy chuckling to himself as he tried to down the brand new shot of tequila. He glared. "No." he said, "I wasn't. But you, my mother, was."

    Frank trudged upstairs without another word exchanged between the two.  He got his guitar out and, for the first time in weeks, he actually wrote something. He plugged headphones in so his mom couldn't hear his amp. She was kind of irritable that way.