Chapter 15

Jimmy's hit was nothing compared to the fear in Gerard at that moment. In fact, he'd never been that scared ever in his life. One time, he had to get blood drawn, but when he went there they discovered he also needed four vaccinations. He was more scared now. While Mikey was still living with him and his parents, he lost his temper once and almost hit Gerard....or worse.

    He was more scared now.

    Jimmy had already hit him, and worse might have been on the way.

    But he was more scared for Frank.

    As they kept driving, Gerard whipped his phone out again.

    "Hey, what are you—"

    "I'm texting Becky," Gerard yelled back, "I wanna make sure she's hiding somewhere safe. Is that okay, dad?!"

    Jimmy sighed and nodded sternly, staring at the road. Gerard quickly typed this text, knowing that this was probably his last hope to keep Frank safe.

    "Go to my house and tell Frank to leave and find somewhere safer to hide. Let him know I'll explain it all later, and that I'll find him."

***

    "You fucking liar!" Jimmy yelled as he stormed through Gerard's house, threatening to hit Gerard again. He didn't even flinch. "God, you know what? Fuck you. You can get caught for all I care."

    With that, Jimmy left Gerard's house, slamming the door and burning out of his driveway. Gerard breathed a sigh of relief and stood silently in the middle of his living room. It was all fine, now, Jimmy gone and his radar off...

    But Frank was still nowhere to be found, and he knew Jimmy might still be looking for him.

    "Frank?" he called in the silent house. "It's okay, Jimmy's gone. You can come out now."

    And, of course, his worst fear; no reply.

    But he kept going.

    "Frankie, I'm sorry for asking so much of you with no explanation. It was wrong of me, but it was to keep you safe." He paused. Nothing. "I'm not mad at you, if that's what you're afraid of. Last night was...last night was nothing." Suddenly, he was crying, slowly traveling to his room and sitting on the bed. "Frank, please be safe," he muttered, "I love you."

    He laid down on the bed and closed his eyes, brainstorming where the hell he could be. What if he thought the junkyard was safe? What if it was too late? Maybe he went to his own house. No, too obvious; Frank's too clever for that. Perhaps he was already two miles out of town with a suitcase and a pocket full of cash. Gerard cringed and instantly rejected the possibility. He opened his eyes and sighed. Then gasped.

    Gerard's eyes landed on something tucked under one of the beams above his bed. It was a note; a note with his name on it.

    Gerard sprang up from his bed and reached it, carefully sliding it out and examining it. He instantly recognized the handwriting and his heart raced. As he opened it, the writing was brand new and obviously scrawled very quickly across the paper; but still clear and readable.

    Gerard,
    I don't know what's going on, but you've asked me to hide. All that I can hope is that you're fine, and that you're reading this, because this is my only way of reaching you now. I broke my phone this morning after I called you. I'm sorry.
    But here it is: I remember exactly when I fell in love with you; I remember not knowing I had done it, but I had. I remember just a week later, I went back there and almost got myself killed. But there you were. You saved me. I barely remembered that part, but I did.
    And then I kissed you.
    And whether or not I'll ever get to do that again, at least let it all end here. Let's go back, Gerard. For the first time, it can be my fun place again. But you know what? I have no doubt you will find me. You always find me.
    Love, (if it isn't too late)
    Frank

    Gerard wiped the tears from his eyes, folded the note back up, and put it in his pocket. No questioning himself, no doubt, no stopping and considering other thoughts going around his head at that moment; Gerard knew exactly where he was going.

    He quickly located his mom's keys and took her car. Strategically avoiding the roads and alley ways he thought Jimmy might be hanging around, he parked at his destination in just fifteen minutes, which was fifteen minutes too long.

    When Gerard ran out and felt the grass under his feet, he heard something beside him. The swing set was facing the opposite direction, and the occupant of one of them was listening to music. Gerard smiled, his heart racing as he slowly approached them. He carefully placed his hands on the chains and pulled. They spun around. HE spun around, and pulled the headphone out.

    "Don't worry," Gerard whispered, "It's just me."

    Frank shook his head and ditched the swing, running around it and falling into Gerard's arms. All of a sudden, Gerard was crying again, and when he looked at Frank's face he saw that he was, too. And he couldn't help; he didn't WANT to help it. He pressed their  lips together and held him closer than he ever had. It was their most passionate kiss yet.

    "I..." Frank was speechless as he tried to speak to Gerard now.

    Gerard shook his head and took his hand, deciding he was to speak instead. "It's us now, okay? It's US. It's not my stupid fucking art, it's not Jimmy, it's not the police, it's not the bullies...it's about US, and what we are. I'm not losing you to any of that, Frank. I love you."

    Frank nodded and smiled. He still didn't understand any of this, but he agreed with everything Gerard said. "I love you, too."

    Before he knew it, Gerard was pulling him along to the car. When they got in, he turned to Frank again and said, "I'll protect you."

    Frank nodded. "I know."