Chapter 16

"How much money do you have left?"

    Frank looked up suddenly. Gerard hadn't spoken in about ten minutes; neither of them had. He didn't know where Gerard was in even going, but it seemed they were leaving town. He could tell Gerard had a plan, so he simply kept quiet.

    "A couple hundred." Frank answered.

    Gerard nodded and reached for Frank's hand again, holding it firmly. Frank wasn't scared anymore; he knew something big was still going on, but he could not for the life of him be afraid of any of it now. They had both been in danger, and were probably going somewhere to hide from it. But he was hiding with Gerard. That was as safe as he needed.

    "Good. That'll do." Gerard said. He paused. "Frank?"

    "Hm?"

    As they came to a stoplight, Gerard turned to look at Frank and smiled, looking a little sorry. "You ready to run away with me?"

    Frank grinned wide and reached forward, pecking Gerard on the lips. He stayed close to him and nodded. "Always." He whispered.

    Someone honked. They pulled themselves together and drove, the intensity completely gone inside the car. They both smiled.

    Gerard parked at a hotel. Frank looked over at him a bit worriedly. Gerard nodded sadly.

    "It'll only be a day or two. I'm sure of it." Gerard reassured him.

    Frank nodded and they went inside to check in. It wasn't a glamorous hotel, as they weren't trying to spend all of Frank's money at once. The receptionist gave them a disgusted look as they walked in holding hands. Frank noticed, but Gerard hadn't seemed to. That or he didn't care. Frank knew he didn't care, and he wished he could fully say the same for himself.

    Gerard paid and got their key, and they scurried away to their room. Upon entering, they soon discovered it smelled like old people and food of the same age as the people. Frank opened the window, airing it out, and that's when he noticed Gerard had a bag in his hand the entire time.

    "You packed?" he asked, sitting at the window sill.

    Gerard nodded. "I knew I'd find you right away, and that we'd have to come here." He answered.

    "Got any clothes in there that'll fit me? I'll be on day three for these threads tomorrow." Frank asked.

 Gerard joined him at the window and looked down at the city as the sun was beginning to set, holding his hand again. He'd never realized before how much Gerard loved holding hands. He had seemed to be doing it more and more lately. "I'm sure you'll fit in something." Gerard finally replied quietly.

Frank frowned. "Gerard," he said, getting his attention, "Are you ready to explain all this to me?"

Gerard stared at Frank a long time and thought. Finally, he nodded.

"The cops found the junkyard again. They're shutting us down; got cops there all the time from now on." Gerard began, "Jimmy's girlfriend Chantal was arrested and he's mad. He knows the last three people there before they got there were me, you, and Becky. He knows that you and I broke up and...Frank, he thinks YOU did it; that YOU turned us in."

Frank almost acted like he was shocked, but he wasn't. He fucking wasn't. He sat there and nodded his head, grinning sarcastically as he was unable to contain his anger. Gerard sighed and stood up, traveling to the bed and sitting there instead.  

"I'm afraid if he found you, he'd hurt you..." his voice trailed off and soon he wasn't alone. Frank slowly joined him and forced eye contact.

"Gerard...did Jimmy...hurt you?" he asked cautiously.