Chapter 12

It was late and he was tired when Frank was dropped off at his dark, empty house. He shut the door, the sound echoing through it as he fell to the floor and lied there. He let out a long sigh as he remembered that his mother was still gone until Monday. And all of a sudden, things were calm again. Actually, for the first time. He failed to worry about anything at the moment; not school, not his mom...not Gerard...

    And he smiled.

    And then he cried.

    Because, yeah, of course he loved him. He loved how kind and thoughtful and selfless he was, especially after giving him up to make him happier. But it hurt to know that after just an hour, it was already working. How, he didn't know. He would love for Gerard to follow him inside, kiss him on the forehead and then cuddle right there with him and watch movies or something. Fuck, he dreams about that.

    But it was like a gigantic weight was lifted off of Frank's shoulders. Gerard was still there; Gerard would always be there. He knew that; he trusted that. He also trusted that one day, they'd end up together again. If it was the last thing Frank did, their lips would meet again and it would be spectacular. And the last thing Frank knew for sure, more than anything else, is that it would be worth the wait.

    Gerard Way, the only thing holding him in that stupid Jersey town, would be his again, always and forever. One day. One day...

***

    Gerard only drove a block down from Frank's house as he decided what he'd do next. Really, he should go back to camp and all, but he really didn't want to. He just wanted to be with himself. He could go home, though, due to the fact that his parents were both away on business or something...he really didn't like to pry.

    So Gerard drove home. Sean would tell everyone that he left, and he'd get in trouble, but he went home. And then, as he was driving back alone in his car at 1 in the morning, it hit him; he had just broken up with Frank. And man did it hurt. It didn't hurt this much while he was saying it, or when Frank wasn't even phased by hearing it, but it hurt now that Frank was really alone now, at home probably thinking it all over too.

    But he knew what he was doing. He had helped Frank a great deal in the month or so they'd known each other. He had fallen in love with him, but gotten too close; been trusted too much. If something as simple as Jimmy was enough to freak him out and almost ruin what they have, he would hate to have something bigger make him not want to even look at him anymore. All he wanted was to be there for Frank somehow, someway. Even the most painful way; just friends.

    And all of a sudden, all he could think about was the lunch incident when they first met. He smiled wildly as he remembered it. The way Frank looked as if all he wanted to do was get the HELL away from the emo kid who just dumped food all over his shirt, yet he was still interested in finding how WHY he was sticking around. And was glisten of hope in his eyes when he looked at him. He saw it then, and every time after that that they had met, it had gotten stronger. Until one day, he smiled at him, doubtless and happy.

    And then, Gerard was smiling so wide, and crying so much. Man, he did love Frank. And he couldn't help but think that this would make him love him even more. He was excited and scared and happy...and hurting. But a good hurt. This was going to be interesting.

***

    It was like hang over; a bad dream; some kind of evil trick. But it was all real. Last night happened. Gerard sat up in his bed and sighed.

    Frank wasn't his boyfriend anymore.

    He thought that as that set it for the first time that day, he would feel instant regret and pain, and even end up crying again. But he didn't. It was more like a very content feeling, as if this was just part of the plan or something. He felt fine without Frank...