~ Chapter 1 ~ Nothing But A Dull Ache

There was nothing but a dull ache in my chest. Today of all days I had to go to work. Trust me I love my job, it's the most wonderful thing in the world. I just wish it wasn't today. Only because 4 years ago my ex called me a heartless bítch and it hurts.

I pull into the daycare parking lot and get out my car I run my own daycare center for children 4-7. They are so cute and little balls a joy. They're the closest I'll ever get to having kids ever.

When I walk into the building I'm instantly pulled into a hug. I press my face into Jasmine's shoulder and take a deep breath.

"How are you holding up?" She rubbed my back soothingly.

"I could be better." I reply and huffed sagging my shoulder.

"You know what you need?" She stepped back and smiled at me.

"What?" I look at her with curiosity.

"A girls night out. Just me, you, and Gwen since April's on her honeymoon." She rolled her eyes. She thinks it was wrong of April to flaunt her happiness around me when I was 'heartbroken'.

The truth is I'm over it. I no longer care about Adonis. I've moved on completely.

No you haven't. That smug little voice in the back of my head commented. You're dying to know what he's been up to.

"Shut up." I hissed aloud and jasmine looked hurt. "Oh not you Jas. The little voice inside my head." I assured and placed my hand on her shoulder.

"Oh ok." She smiled.

"Marvell you don't put glue in lacy hair." I took the glue bottle from the little brown haired boy. "Go sit in the corner." I point to the corner.

He frowns and hangs his head while he sulks to the timeout corner. I take lacy to wash out and dry her hair. When all the glue is gone and her hair dried she runs off to play. I look over at Jasmine and laugh. She has a streak of pink paint on her cheek.

She gets up from the small table and leave the kids to paint. She walks over to me wiping her hands on her smock.

"Why did I agree to run a daycare center with you?" She narrowed her eyes.

"Because you love little kids just as much as I do." I wipe the paint from her cheek.

"Correction I love them more." She points out and the bell above the door dings. We both look at the door.

A girl with short blonde hair, blue eyes and pink lips walk into our daycare. She was being pulled by a little girl with brown hair. She came up to us and smiled brightly.

"Hi." She tried to contain the little girl. "My names Laura and this little girl is my niece. I just moved to town with my husband and my sister asked me to drop her off here."

"Sure Jas will show you to the sign in sheet while I go gather up snacks." I turn on my heels and leave into the mini kitchen.

We run an afternoon daycare right after lunch so we only have to give out snacks and lay them down for bed. Easy enough right? Wrong, we have about 15 kids and they're all hyper and bouncing off the walls. It's harder than it looks.

I grab the animal crackers and juices and head back into the main room.

"Snack time!" I call and start placing napkins on the table.

"You'll never believe who I just saw." Jasmine whispered while she took the juices from my hands.

"Don't care." I mumble and start distributing the animal crackers.

"But I just saw-"

"I don't care jasmine! All I care about is getting these darned animal crackers out ok." I snap at her and she frowns slightly.

"Geez you don't have to go ballistic on me." She gave out the rest of the juices and went to clean up.

When I was done giving out animal crackers I threw away the box and started laying out the cots and blankets. One by one the kids started filling in their cots and settling down.

"Ally!" The little browned haired girl name Marcy tugged on my jeans.

"Yes Marcy?" I looked down at her and tucked my hair behind my ear.

"Can you read Goldie locks and the thwee beaws tonight?" She smiled and showed her missing teeth. I smiled at her and nodded my head.

"Of course, when everyone is laying down I will ok. In the mean time go lay down alright?" She nodded her head and skipped off to her cot.

Ok it wasn't as hard but it was a hassle because some kids liked to stay up and play after we told them to lay down.

When everyone was laying down I grabbed the book and sat on the floor on the middle of the cots. Jasmine continued to clean while I read. As the story went on the kids went to sleep. By the time the story was over everyone had went to sleep.

I quietly made my way out from the middle and sat down in a corner. I closed my eyes and took a nap as well. Jasmine did the same a few feet away from me.

"Where's your mommy Marcy?" I bend down at the knees and look at her. She shrugs her shoulders.

"Auntie was supposed to pick me up." She looked upset.

"Do you know where auntie lives?" I tucked my hair behind my ear. She nodded her head. "Come on I'll drive you home." I took her hand.

Taking directions from a five year old was difficult but in the end we pulled up into the driveway. I helped Marcy out the car and walked her to the beautiful house. I knocked on the door and waited. Soon the door opened to reveal the blonde with a smile on her face.

"Shoot." She face palmed herself. "I'm so sorry. I totally forgot I was supposed to pick her up."

"It's ok. I didn't mind bringing her home." I let Marcy's hand go and she ran and hugged Laura's legs.

"Thank you so much. Her mother would've killed me if I don't bring her, her child." She joked.

"No problem." I smiled.

"Babe who was at the-" a familiar male figure stood behind the blonde. "Door." He looked at me.

My heart had decided to join the heart race at the precise moment. My hands start to clam up and my throat started to close. He still looked the same. Same dark eyes, same pale pink lips, same pale skin and same black hair effortlessly taken care off. It didn't help that he was shirtless.

"Come on Marcy lets go watch powerpuff girls reruns." He picked up Marcy and walked away from the door. My heart sank and I couldn't bare to be there anymore.

"Thank you once again.." She trailed off.

"Alaska." I forced out. My voice sounding strained. "It's no problem really Marcy's a sweet girl."

"Yeah she is." She smiled.

"I gotta go." I turned around and hurriedly walked towards my car. My eyes stung with fresh tears but I refused to let them fall. Not now, not here, not ever.

When I arrived at my apartment I quickly closed and locked the door. Slowly I slid down the door and choked on my tears. There was no longer a dull ache in my chest. There was a full burning sensation that was so familiar yet so foreign.

_________

Boom what?! The first chapter of the sequel is up. I honestly had two ideas for what to do with this sequel but this was the more interesting one. How I picture Laura on the side.

Comment. Vote. Fan.

Live. Laugh. Love.

~Dejah