Chapter #3 ~ Creak

"You've got to be kidding me," Stans tone of disbelief cut through the air. Creak rolled her eyes, "You think I would joke about something like this? I'm serious, Stans, it's not safe and we have to go."

After waking up on the floor right where she had originally passed out, Creak had thought the elf, Bane, had just been in her head. If she hadn't found her wounds completely healed and her basket of breads right beside her; the warning still replaying in her mind, she would have thought it wasn't real. As it was she couldn't help but feel crazy, so on her walk back to the abandoned band she had decided to only tell Stans part of the truth.

"You got into a fight! With the Carsons!" Stans looked at her wide eyed, a slight trace of fear shown in his forest eyes.

"Yes," Creak said, her words heated with shame. "And now they'll be after us! We have to leave now, while we still have enough food for a journey."

"A journey! Where do you expect us to go?" Stans waited for an answer, but Creak didn't have one.

"Yeah, where do you expect to go? If the king is really on to us then nowhere will be safe. Will you really take your brother down with you? The king isn't after him, we're the one he wants." Gorgos brought the thoughts into her head. Thoughts that Creak could not ignore. Somewhere in the barn rats scurried through the old hay, waking the dust bunnies and sending shivers down her spine.

"You're right," she whispered running a hand through her hair, making her loose, wide curls tangle.

"What was that, Creak? Are you even listening to me?" Stans looked down at her in confusion.

Creak looked away from her brother and towards a broken window, the morning sun shining through and making the dusty air sparkle. The truth she was trying to hide in her eyes and worry that creased her brow; worry that she didn't want her brother to catch.

"No," her brother's eyes widened in realization. "She's back isn't she?"
Creak closed her eyes in frustration. She didn't have time for this; she didn't want Stans to worry about her. Trying her best to sound convincing she turned back to her brother, eyes shining with false honesty.

"Don't be ridiculous, I haven't heard her for years. Gorgos is long gone and you shouldn't worry."

In truth Gorgos, the depressing voice in her head, had never left. Stans had been freaking out when their parents had abandoned them and things had only gotten worse when he learned his baby sister was crazy. To keep him from losing it completely, Creak had told him Gogos had gone away. He had believed her and she had been careful to never talk to herself when he was around, until now.

Suspicion glistened in Stans's eyes and a slight frown caused lines to form on his brow, but he didn't question her any farther. "Okay. If you say she's gone than I'll trust you, but if anything comes up you have to tell me. Is that clear?"

Creak smiled, "Crystal clear."

"Good," Stans said wearily. "Now we have to discuss this journeying business. Where do you plan for us to go?"

Gorgos's comment stayed in Creak's head, warning her not to put her brother in any unnecessary danger. She needed a plan that didn't involve Stans being anywhere near her when these supposed royal guards came for her. She wouldn't put him in danger, even if it terrified her to be on her own and without him.

"Oh, that," she waved her hand as if in dismissal. "Now that I think about it... we should be fine. The Carsons won't trouble themselves with a young girl who's barely more five feet tall. They've probably forgotten about me already."

Stans studied her through squinted eyes, his brow creased in doubt. It was obvious he didn't believe her, so Creak decided to quickly change the subject.