Chapter #9 ~ Creak

Creak stumbled and fell over yet another log. "That would make five in the past hour." Gorgos laughed at her. "Walk much!"

Rolling her eyes, Creak picked the dead leaves out of her hair. "Apparently not." She mumbled back trying her best not to get angry.
It had been a frustrating week since her flee from Riverfall. After the first three days she had suddenly found herself without any food.
Having left most of what Valen had given her behind for her brother, Creak had forced herself to eat as little as possible. Her rationing had worked well enough, making her one meal worth of food last her three days. But it wasn't enough for the week she had been traveling.

Without food she continued to run out of energy. She had stumbled around the woods for days. Her brain was in a fog and her stomach was constantly cramped. It was exhausting. Every fall sent pain shooting through her. Every step was slow and heavy.

It hurt! It all hurt! Her brother was gone. She was on her own with only Gorgos to keep her company. Angel had even abandoned her! She had been around for the first five days of nonstop walking, constantly telling Creak how beautiful the scenery was. How lucky they were to get the chance to travel, even if it was while on the run from knights. Then on the morning of day six when Creak had struggled to get up and continue on there was no positive motivation. Angel had left and with her so had Creak's idea of making it out of the forest alive.

Gorgos wasn't very helpful. Constantly laughing at her. Telling her that soon she would die. At some point on the sixth day, when Creak had fallen and couldn't find the strength to get up Gorgos had said something. Something that forced Creak to her feet. Laughing, always laughing, Gorgos had spoken to her. "Once you're dead I'll be free. Finally free to roam the land and create havoc!'

Hearing those words had brought Creak a new resolve. She couldn't die. She couldn't let Gorgos ruin anyone else's life. Gorgos was a part of her and she refused to ever let her out into the world. She would fight to stay alive. Gorgos could not be allowed to roam free.

So she had rose to her feet and she had walked. And walked. And walked. Until the seventh day. She had fallen. Again and again. Gorgos had laughed at her and decided to keep a count every hour. The forest seemed to go on forever and with every step Creak found herself on the ground yet again.

"You're not going to make it!" Gorgos spat gleefully. "The only village around is at least five miles away."

Creak groaned and pushed herself to her feet. The thought of another five miles made her sick. She grabbed her canteen for a quick drink only find it empty. Unlike the last three times she had drank all her water there was no river in sight. No way to refill it. 'I can't die.' She thought to herself. It was a thought that often came to her mind after deciding to leave Riverfall. 'I won't let myself die.'

Then she smelled it. A beautiful, delicious aroma was blown by the wind. She could pick out the smell of burning wood. 'A camp fire! Maybe whoever it is has food and water!'

Gorgos didn't respond to her hopeful thought, clearly disappointed at the fact that Creak might actually live.

Following the scent, Creak stumbled as fast as her legs would allow. She fell twice, but refused to let that discourage her.

Bursting through a thick, icy bush she tripped over her own feet and face planted in an open field.

There in the middle of the grassy plane melting the thin layer of snow on the ground, was a roaring campfire. Over the fire, roasting on a spit was the biggest boar she had ever seen. Her hunger took control of her and her caution was thrown to the frigid wind.