Chapter #21 ~ Creak

Creak felt the water cascade over her, pounding her every time she tried to breath. It was cold, so cold. She hadn't meant to fall in; she had just wanted to play with the fish. The current pulled her back under. Her lungs felt like they were going to explode. Her arms and legs were stiff with fatigue.

'No!' She thought as her head broke to surface and she swallowed down a few breaths. The water dragged her under once again.

'I can't breath!' Her mind screamed. 'Open your mouth anyway!'

She needed air, but there was only water. Her mouth burst open and all she got was water! It filled her lungs and went down into her stomach.

'Too much.' She felt her tears join the river that swallowed her whole. 'Where's the air?'

Her eyes rolled back into her head and her body flowed with the currents. It the calmer water she floated and washed to the river's small bank.

She was out cold, but her own body saved her. Her lungs heaved up the water until she woke gasping for air and coughing.

'I'm alive!' She crawled out of the water crying. 'I can breath!'

"It's a shame isn't it?"

Creak jumped and turned in a full circle desperately trying to find the voice's source.

"Who said that?" Her voice shook with fear as she peered into the night shadows.

A laughing filled Creak's head and she began to cry. It wouldn't go away. The nasty sound was trapped inside of her.

"Get out!" She screamed. "Get out of my head!"

The voice sounded amused. "I can't. I'm a part you now. You created me, Creak."

"If I created you than I can make you leave!" She screamed and clawed at her face. "Get out, get out, get out!"

The laughing continued while Creak screamed.

"Creak!" Her brother's voices sounded from the trees. "Creak, where are you!"

Stans burst through the trees, tears streaming down his soft, boyish face. His young, green eyes shone in the moonlight.

He ran to his sister and held her tight. "Oh, I thought I'd lost you!" He cried and held on to her like she might disappear. "I thought you were gone."

Creak looked at Stans with horror in her eyes. "It won't stop!"

Stans was shaking, but did his best to steady his voice. "What? What won't stop?"

"The voice!" Creak screamed. "She won't stop laughing! I can't get her out of my head!"

* * *

Creak awoke remembering the first time she had almost died. She had been six years old when she had been playing by the Rosella River with Stans. She had wanted to play tag with the fish when she had walked to far. The river's swift current had dragged her under and pulled her away from her brother. It was the night she had almost drowned; the same night Gorgos first appeared a year after their parents had left.

She had been granted another chance at life, but with a new burden.
Creak gasped as if water had filled her lungs. She whipped her head around, her eyes still swollen shut. She couldn't see! Where was she? Was she dead?

"Vern?" Her voice was scratchy and she felt the need to throw up. "Vern?"

She pushed herself into a sitting position and soft furs shifted underneath her. 'So I'm still alive?' She thought gripping the furs. Her arms and face burned, but it wasn't as bad as it had been before.
Someone must have heard her cries for help and come to save them. She could only hope Vern was still alive.