Chapter #10 ~ Creak

Creak woke with a yawn, her jaw popping. The cage had stopped in an open clearing surrounded by pine trees whose needles poked at the flawless blue sky. Pushing herself out of Vern's arms, she scrambled over to the bars in hope of getting a better look at her surroundings. Gripping the metal, which was covered in a thin layer of ice that made them slick beneath her blue tinted fingers, Creak shook. Having left the warmth of Vern's embrace, she found herself burning. The frost bite on her finger tips made her hands feel as if they were submerged in molten lava.

The same burning sensation tickled the tip of her nose and pinched at her ears. Tears formed behind Creak's eyes as she pressed her face against the frosty bars in an attempt to see the horses in front of the cage.

'Are they gone?' She wondered to herself.

She couldn't see the slave traders, her captors. She didn't hear the sound of voices. The only sounds were of a soft breeze brushing the pine trees and Vern's soft snoring.

"ɧơ Ɩơ۷ɛƖ! ıʂŋ'ɬ ɬɧɛ ʂƙ ʝųʂɬ ɬɧɛ ɱơʂɬ ცɛąųɬıʄųƖ ɬɧıŋɠ ơų'۷ɛ ɛ۷ɛ ʂɛɛŋ!"
Creak gasped. 'Angel?'

"ƈơųƖɖ ıɬ ცɛ ąŋơŋɛ ɛƖʂɛ?" Angel's singing voice brightened inside her head. Creak never thought she would be so relieved to hear her overly positive friend, but after spending a few day alone with Gorgos she came to realize a little bit of joy never hurt anyone.

"No!" Gorgos screamed it outrage. "You can't come back! We don't want you here!"

"ơɧ ɖơŋ'ɬ ცɛ ɬɧąɬ ą! ı ƙŋơ ơų ɱıʂʂɛɖ ɱɛ."

"Sure." Gorgos drawled. "Just like the king misses his knights after they retire."

Creak snorted at her sarcastic words. The king doesn't care about anyone but himself, just like Gorgos. If she thought about it Creak was sure she could come up with hundreds of ways the two were alike.

'Okay. Calm down you two.' Creak said before they could start arguing with each other. 'We have more important things to think about. You know, like how are we going to get to the rebel kingdom now?'

"ơɧ! ı ƙŋơ! ῳɛ ɧą۷ɛ ɬơ ɠɛɬ ơųɬ ơʄ ɬɧıʂ ƈąɠɛ. ɬɧɛŋ ῳɛ ƈąŋ
ʝųʂɬ ąƖK ɬơąɖʂ ɬɧɛ ɱơųŋɬąıŋʂ ųŋɬıƖ ῳɛ ʄʝŋɖ ąŋɛ."

"Great idea!" Gorgos mocked her squeal. "Let's have Creak just walk right through the bars and we'll be on our way. Just genius!"

Creak rubbed her temples. 'You know what? Forget I ever said anything. I'll think of a plan later with Vern. He'll at least try to contribute something helpful.'